1. Question about wxEuphoria

Hello,

I started to work with wxEuphoria 12.1 and Euphoria (rev 1371) a little bit in Windows (Vista). Some examples work, some do not.

First thing I did was to replace all global with public in wxeud.e in order to ensure not to run with Eu 3.1.1. Also ensured only to use std/include files.

I also added in about line 1597 get_ptr:
WX_XY_TO_POSITION = wx_define_c_func( "xy_to_position", {C_INT,C_INT,C_INT}, E_OBJECT ),@define
get_ptr = wx_define_c_func( "get_obj_pointer", {E_OBJECT}, E_OBJECT ),

End of imports

and commented out about line 3786:
constant get_ptr = define_c_func( wxWidgets, "get_obj_pointer", {E_OBJECT}, E_OBJECT)

As you introduced wxDEBUG this is a good means to see what functions are not linked correctly. These are my results:

Failed to link function: +find_window
Failed to link function: +get_linkinfo
Failed to link function: +get_staticbitmap
Failed to link procedure: +set_mdi_child_title
Failed to link procedure: +set_staticbitmap
Failed to link function: +get_obj_pointer
Failed to link variable: null_pen
Failed to link variable: null_brush

It seems something is missing in the provided dlls for wxEuphoria. Can I compile them myself using Watcom and what must I pay attention to?

I can see that at wxwidgets.org Release 2.8.9 is offered for download. Can I use the provided files in wxEuphoria/src for this release too?

Thanks in advance for any help
Roland

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

RStowasser said...

As you introduced wxDEBUG this is a good means to see what functions are not linked correctly. These are my results:

Failed to link function: +find_window
Failed to link function: +get_linkinfo
Failed to link function: +get_staticbitmap
Failed to link procedure: +set_mdi_child_title
Failed to link procedure: +set_staticbitmap
Failed to link function: +get_obj_pointer
Failed to link variable: null_pen
Failed to link variable: null_brush

It seems something is missing in the provided dlls for wxEuphoria. Can I compile them myself using Watcom and what must I pay attention to?

I think that the exports.lbc file wasn't updated. There's a target in makefile.wat (exports) to do this, but it requires that you have grep and sed installed (I use gnuwin32 on Windows). By default, everything is exported by gcc, but Watcom requires extra work to export from a dll.

I can see that at wxwidgets.org Release 2.8.9 is offered for download. Can I use the provided files in wxEuphoria/src for this release too?

[/quote]

Yes, that should work. I haven't looked at the release notes, but these point releases usually don't remove anything from the API.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

Hi Matt,

thank you for your hints. I tried wxwidgets 2.8.7 and following the readme.txt in wxEuphoria/src I could build wxmsw28u_wat_eu.dll. But unfortunately I cannot build libwxeu.dll. These are the last lines in my console window:

wpp386 -bt=nt -zq -fo=wat_dll\wxXmlResource.obj /bd /xs -dWXMSW
-dWXEUMSW -d_UNICODE -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu -DWX_LIB_BUILD=1
2 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include -w0 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu /d1 -d
NOPCH .\wxXmlResource.cpp
wpp386 -bt=nt -zq -fo=wat_dll\wxWizard.obj /bd /xs -dWXMSW
-dWXEUMSW -d_UNICODE -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu -DWX_LIB_BUILD=12 -i=
.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include -w0 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu /d1 -dNOPCH
.\wxWizard.cpp
wlink runtime windows=4.0 @wat_dll\wxeu.lbc @wat_dll\exports.lbc
Warning! W1121: 'EuEventTypes' has already been exported
Error! E2028: _get_linkinfo is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: _get_obj_pointer is an undefined reference
Error! E2044: exported symbol _get_linkinfo not found
Error! E2044: exported symbol _get_obj_pointer not found
Error(E42): Last command making (wat_dll\libwxeu.dll) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

D:\Euphoria\wxEuphoria\src>pause
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

This is a little bit too much to read through for me in the moment.
I only can find get_linkinfo in src/wx.h and get_obj_pointer not at all. Is there a missing cpp file in wxEuphoria/src of version 12.1?

Roland

4. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

RStowasser said...

I only can find get_linkinfo in src/wx.h and get_obj_pointer not at all. Is there a missing cpp file in wxEuphoria/src of version 12.1?

I downloaded wxEuphoria 12.0 and compared wxHtml.cpp. It seems that get_linkinfo has changed to get_link_event_info. Is get_obj_pointer eventually renamed also or is it necessary at all?

Roland

5. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

I included the binaries in the version 12 and 12.1 releases. Could you use those for the time being, until we sort this out?

-Greg

6. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

ghaberek said...

I included the binaries in the version 12 and 12.1 releases. Could you use those for the time being, until we sort this out?

-Greg

As I am not always on Internet I unfortunately missed this message and therefore continued my exercises. After correcting get_linkinfo and removing get_obj_pointer I managed to build libwxeu.dll. As it does not show the link failures of the 12.1 dll, I will use this in the moment.

Nevertheless there are still some machine level exceptions with some demos. As I am using Eu 4.0 rev 1377 I first have to check them with Eu 3.1.1.

Roland

7. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

RStowasser said...

As I am not always on Internet I unfortunately missed this message and therefore continued my exercises. After correcting get_linkinfo and removing get_obj_pointer I managed to build libwxeu.dll. As it does not show the link failures of the 12.1 dll, I will use this in the moment.

Nevertheless there are still some machine level exceptions with some demos. As I am using Eu 4.0 rev 1377 I first have to check them with Eu 3.1.1.

There will be machine level exceptions. The library is stable, a handful of things simply don't work. If you run all_demos.exw, it should give you a description of the demos, some of which say "broken."

And how'd this thread get broken...?

-Greg

8. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

RStowasser said...

(quote RStowasser]<== this, with the normal [ ] may be what messed up this thread

Hi Matt,

thank you for your hints. I tried wxwidgets 2.8.7 and following the readme.txt in wxEuphoria/src I could build wxmsw28u_wat_eu.dll. But unfortunately I cannot build libwxeu.dll. These are the last lines in my console window:

wpp386 -bt=nt -zq -fo=wat_dll\wxXmlResource.obj /bd /xs -dWXMSW
-dWXEUMSW -d_UNICODE -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu -DWX_LIB_BUILD=1
2 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include -w0 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu /d1 -d
NOPCH .\wxXmlResource.cpp
wpp386 -bt=nt -zq -fo=wat_dll\wxWizard.obj /bd /xs -dWXMSW
-dWXEUMSW -d_UNICODE -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu -DWX_LIB_BUILD=12 -i=
.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\include -w0 -i=.\wxWidgets-2.8.7\lib\wat_dll\mswu /d1 -dNOPCH
.\wxWizard.cpp
wlink runtime windows=4.0 @wat_dll\wxeu.lbc @wat_dll\exports.lbc
Warning! W1121: 'EuEventTypes' has already been exported
Error! E2028: _get_linkinfo is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: _get_obj_pointer is an undefined reference
Error! E2044: exported symbol _get_linkinfo not found
Error! E2044: exported symbol _get_obj_pointer not found
Error(E42): Last command making (wat_dll\libwxeu.dll) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

D:\Euphoria\wxEuphoria\src>pause
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

This is a little bit too much to read through for me in the moment.

Roland
(/quote]

Roland,

I'm not actually responding to the ABOVE message, just including it to answer your LAST question, as to how did the thread get messed up.. you apparently made a post as a reply that just included the tags to quote and unquote yourself, instead of also containing the tags to quote Matt's reply to you. I think. Let's see how this post presents, it looked ok on preview. If you look at various individual posts in this thread, and hit the preview button, you should/might see when/how the thread broke.

Dan

9. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

Today I had some time to run the demos of wxEuphoria with Eu 4.0 rev 1378. I used wxeud.e of wxIDE. Some errors of the demos were caused by some missing files which I found in the demo folder of version 12.0 of wxEuphoria and in win32lib: tbar_xpm.e, xpm_icon.e and xrc_demo.xrc. In list.exw I think there is a logic error in procedure Click_Button1: index should be of type object and the line:

if index = -1 then
should be changed to:
if equal(index, {}) then.

Apart from these minor exception the demos of wxEuphoria run very fine on my machine. And so does wxIDE which shows a lot of potential.

Nevertheless it would be nice if libwxeu.dll could be updated. The cause for the few link failures can be solved by updating exports.lbc like Matt noticed. The demos are not affected, but wxIDE is. (set_pen and set_brush in wxIDE_Syntax.ew will not work.)

Dan: I answered to a message of the subject list. As this powerful discussion forum offers the option to change to thread view while reading the message and vice versa to message view I am not quite sure what I should have broken. In particular as this was not a long thread.

Anyway my intention was to see how Eu 4.0 (now rev 1378) works with wxEuphoria 12.1. Both work very fine so far with my OS (Windows Vista). The only minor problem I see is using global with Eu 4.0 in bigger sized applications.

Roland

10. Re: Question about wxEuphoria

RStowasser said...

The only minor problem I see is using global with Eu 4.0 in bigger sized applications.

Yes, this is actually a problem that I'm working right now. Basically, a way to use 3.1 style code to prevent the globals from interfering in other code. The biggest problem is likely to be with mixing code that uses the older standard library and the newer library.

Unfortunately [for wxEuphoria], most of my time for the last year or so has been working on Euphoria itself, and I haven't been able to help Greg as much as I'd like to. But you're correct, we need to get it cleaned up and a v0.12.2 released ASAP.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu