1. IE View HTML Source

mattlewis said...

<from 4.0 doc thread>

DanM said...

I wonder if, alternativly, I could get the latest html source of the doc, so I could just edit that to show you what I mean? That might be simpler all around. (I'd try to copy it from viewing the source, but every time I try to do that, for some reason a Euphoria program, "NPad" comes up, which has nothing to do with the manual, it happens whenever I try to view any html source, don't know why).

If you're using IE, then somehow, it was configured to be the default html source editor. See:

http://dotnet.org.za/thea/archive/2004/11/25/7933.aspx or http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20030526/141670.html

...for more info.

Matt

THANK YOU MATT! !

However, if I go to regedit, I there is no key "View Source Editor" under "Internet Explorer", all I can find is "Default HTML Editor", and that says it's set to "WinWord", not the "NPAD" that actually comes up whan I try to view html source.

Dan

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...
mattlewis said...

<from 4.0 doc thread>

DanM said...

I wonder if, alternativly, I could get the latest html source of the doc, so I could just edit that to show you what I mean? That might be simpler all around. (I'd try to copy it from viewing the source, but every time I try to do that, for some reason a Euphoria program, "NPad" comes up, which has nothing to do with the manual, it happens whenever I try to view any html source, don't know why).

If you're using IE, then somehow, it was configured to be the default html source editor. See:

http://dotnet.org.za/thea/archive/2004/11/25/7933.aspx or http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20030526/141670.html

...for more info.

Matt

THANK YOU MATT! !

However, if I go to regedit, I there is no key "View Source Editor" under "Internet Explorer", all I can find is "Default HTML Editor", and that says it's set to "WinWord", not the "NPAD" that actually comes up whan I try to view html source.

Dan

You Can look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\... too.

Jacques

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: IE View HTML Source

jacquesd said...
DanM said...
mattlewis said...

<from 4.0 doc thread>

DanM said...

...for more info.

Matt

THANK YOU MATT! !

Dan

Jacques

Thanks Jacques. The entries there are similar, no "View Source Editor", and "Default HTML Editor" is also set to "WinWord". NPAD does not show up there, it is only found in two places, in it's expected place under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\, and in some numbered item under HKEY_USERS under software, and seems to have only items listed in each case as I'd expect to be there.

Dan

4. Re: IE View HTML Source

said...
said...

Jacques

Thanks Jacques. The entries there are similar, no "View Source Editor", and "Default HTML Editor" is also set to "WinWord". NPAD does not show up there, it is only found in two places, in it's expected place under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\, and in some numbered item under HKEY_USERS under software, and seems to have only items listed in each case as I'd expect to be there.

Dan

Did you search the whole registry, by selecting "My computer" in regedit, then from edit menu "find..." check only data and write "npad.exe" as target.
If it is not set in "Default HTML editor", it may be a file association in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\classes or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes.

Something to test is to create a new user account to see if npad open when you ask to view source in IE when logged with that new account. If not then it means that the association between npad and IE "view source" is registered in the current user profile not machine profile (or default user profile). To resolve issue related to a specific user profile, the simplest way (but drastic) is to delete that user an recreate it. * WARNING * make a backup "c:\documents and settings\%username% before deleting the user. Windows xp as a tool for that in start\programs\accessories\system tools\files ans settings transfert wizard.

jacques

5. Re: IE View HTML Source

said...
said...

Jacques

Dan

Did you search the whole registry, by selecting "My computer" in regedit, then from edit menu "find..." check only data and write "npad.exe" as target.
If it is not set in "Default HTML editor", it may be a file association in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\classes or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes.

Something to test is to create a new user account to see if npad open when you ask to view source in IE when logged with that new account. If not then it means that the association between npad and IE "view source" is registered in the current user profile not machine profile (or default user profile). To resolve issue related to a specific user profile, the simplest way (but drastic) is to delete that user an recreate it. * WARNING * make a backup "c:\documents and settings\%username% before deleting the user. Windows xp as a tool for that in start\programs\accessories\system tools\files ans settings transfert wizard.

jacques

6. Re: IE View HTML Source

jacquesd said...
jacquesd said...

Jacques

Dan said...

Dan

jacques

[/quote] Previously I had just searched for "Npad", and found two entirely reasonable entries, nothing askance in them.
Now, using your suggestion, searching "My Computer" for "Npad.exe" results in no entries for that found at all! ! Looks like that means the registry isn't what's fluxed up, if nothing is set up to execute it? If so, I'm still at a loss as to why View Source in IE brings up Npad.

And while I appreciate the suggestion to, at worst case, save-delete-reinstall the user with the problem, I think I won't do that for now at least smile

Dan

7. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...
jacquesd said...
jacquesd said...

Jacques

Dan said...

Dan

jacques

Previously I had just searched for "Npad", and found two entirely reasonable entries, nothing askance in them.
Now, using your suggestion, searching "My Computer" for "Npad.exe" results in no entries for that found at all! ! Looks like that means the registry isn't what's fluxed up, if nothing is set up to execute it? If so, I'm still at a loss as to why View Source in IE brings up Npad.

And while I appreciate the suggestion to, at worst case, save-delete-reinstall the user with the problem, I think I won't do that for now at least smile

Dan

[/quote]

Is the problem specific to a single user or all users ?

Jacques

8. Re: IE View HTML Source

[quote jacquesd] Is the problem specific to a single user or all users ?

Jacques

[/quote]

all users.
and I also searched for "npad.exw", that's really what I should have been looking for, right?

Dan

9. Re: IE View HTML Source

[quote DanM]

jacquesd said...

Is the problem specific to a single user or all users ?

Jacques

[/quote]

all users.
and I also searched for "npad.exw", that's really what I should have been looking for, right?

Dan

If all users have the problem it's pointeless to suppress a specific account. If you use npad binded or converted to C, you should rather search npad.exe in registry. It's certainly in registry, every IE config or files associations are saved in registry. You could download process monitor
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx?PHPSESSID=d926
This program monitor all access to files and registry by program. Set the filter to monitor only internet explorer. With that you'll know exactly what is appening when when you ask to view source.
Jacques

Jacques

10. Re: IE View HTML Source

Ok, I'll give process monitor a try. Thanks.

DanM

11. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...

DanM

Jacques,

I downloaded Process Monitor, but the help file won't display content, it shows the index & table of contents, but no items help will display. What shows up is:

" The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "

which looks as it were trying to access a page on the web, instead of internal pages in the .chm file. This happens if I open the .chm file itself or run PM and then click on "Help", and whether I'm online or not. Any suggestions? I'll try re-downloading it, but there were no indicated errors before. The web site says it's PM v1.37, but the file says it's Process Monitor v. 1.35, which is confusing. Which do you have?

Dan

12. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...
DanM said...

DanM

Jacques,

I downloaded Process Monitor, but the help file won't display content, it shows the index & table of contents, but no items help will display. What shows up is:

" The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "

which looks as it were trying to access a page on the web, instead of internal pages in the .chm file. This happens if I open the .chm file itself or run PM and then click on "Help", and whether I'm online or not. Any suggestions? I'll try re-downloading it, but there were no indicated errors before. The web site says it's PM v1.37, but the file says it's Process Monitor v. 1.35, which is confusing. Which do you have?

Dan

I just re-downloaded Process Monitor, and now it IS v1.37, but the Help file still doesn't work. I suspect maybe there's a bad help file on the download site itself?

Dan

13. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...
DanM said...
DanM said...

DanM

Jacques,

Dan

I just re-downloaded Process Monitor, and now it IS v1.37, but the Help file still doesn't work. I suspect maybe there's a bad help file on the download site itself?

Dan

OK! why not simply create the "view source editor" key in the registry as described in the link posted by Matt:
http://dotnet.org.za/thea/archive/2004/11/25/7933.aspx

Jacques

14. Re: IE View HTML Source

jacquesd said...
DanM said...
DanM said...
DanM said...

DanM

Jacques,

Dan

Dan

OK! why not simply create the "view source editor" key in the registry as described in the link posted by Matt:

Jacques

I will, I just liked the idea of being able to see what might be happening first.

Dan

15. Re: IE View HTML Source

DanM said...
jacquesd said...
DanM said...
DanM said...
DanM said...

DanM

Jacques,

Dan

Dan

Jacques

I will, I just liked the idea of being able to see what might be happening first.

Dan

I understand, but for now I can't help more.
When debugging windows first thing to rembember is that registry is the configuration database. So the problem of npad versus IE "view source" is certainly related to registry. There is configuration that applies to all users accounts in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and configurations parameters specific to each account in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, those overwrite parameters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE when defined. the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive is loaded from ntuser.dat file which is in each user profile: "c:\documments and settings\%username%\ntuser.dat"
As I explained earlier npad doesn't write to the IE registry keys, so somenone or another program have made those modifications.
Unless the npad you have is not the original one I submitted to rapideuphoria.com

Jacques

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu