1. Message List

Comments:

• When I try to change the page in Message List, it shows the Thread list. Is this intentional ?
  • When pressing the button "Subject List", the "Message List" shows up. I would suggest to use the same name to minimize confusion.

-Fernando

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Message List

Fernando said...

Comments:

• When I try to change the page in Message List, it shows the Thread list. Is this intentional ?
  • When pressing the button "Subject List", the "Message List" shows up. I would suggest to use the same name to minimize confusion.

-Fernando

Jeremy: Why don't you leave the list alone !

It was fine the way it was now there is no way for a user to to set it to the previous single message mode.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Message List

Bernie said...

Jeremy: Why don't you leave the list alone !

It was fine the way it was now there is no way for a user to to set it to the previous single message mode.

You were the minority. The majority now thinks it is correct. Or at least the vocal majority. It will come soon enough that you can set the preference. You can also simply bookmark: http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=list

Jeremy

4. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...

You were the minority. The majority now thinks it is correct. Or at least the vocal majority. It will come soon enough that you can set the preference. You can also simply bookmark: http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=list

Sorry, but I missed the poll too. I vote for Single Message List as the default view. I almost never use threaded view, and when I do its only for special circumstances.

Currently the very first thing I do when opening the forum is the change it to single message view. That way I can see were I'm up to; what I have read and what I haven't read.

The Threaded view list seems in no particular sequence, and I can't tell which are new threads or ones I haven't looked at yet. It just seems far too chaotic. I don't think that I'd ever want to use the threaded-list view.

5. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...

Sorry, but I missed the poll too. I vote for Single Message List as the default view. I almost never use threaded view, and when I do its only for special circumstances.

There was no poll, but on early stages quite a few people complained strongly about the subject list view and why there was no thread view. Further, the thread view is the standard of any forum software I've seen.

Derek Parnell said...

Currently the very first thing I do when opening the forum is the change it to single message view. That way I can see were I'm up to; what I have read and what I haven't read.

That information is available on the Threaded Message List as well. You have the Star icon. The thing is, you can get more threads shown at one time because there are not 10 messages for 1 thread at the top of the list. I recently ~2 hours made a change to the what happens when you click a subject in the Threaded View. It no longer takes you to the top of the message list, but it now takes you to the first message in the thread that you have not read. So, there may be 5 new posts to the thread. When you click on the thread subject, you are taken to the first one you did not read. You can scroll up to get things more in context if you want.

Derek Parnell said...

The Threaded view list seems in no particular sequence, and I can't tell which are new threads or ones I haven't looked at yet. It just seems far too chaotic. I don't think that I'd ever want to use the threaded-list view.

It's ordered by the last post date. Let's say the forum has Two posts on it:

1. About the Forum...... posted at 10:45am Last post..... none
  2. Hello World.......... posted at 10:15am Last post..... none

Now, let's say you reply to Hello World. The order will now show the most recent activity at the top, the view will change to:

1. Hello World.......... posted at 10:15am Last post..... 11:15am by Derek
  2. About the Forum...... posted at 10:45am Last post..... none

Now someone else creates a brand new thread:

1. Brand new thread..... posted at 11:22am Last post..... none
  2. Hello World.......... posted at 10:15am Last post..... 11:15am by Derek
  3. About the Forum...... posted at 10:45am Last post..... none

Now someone replies again to the Hello World thread:

1. Hello World.......... posted at 10:15am Last post..... 11:32am by Someone
  2. Brand new thread..... posted at 11:22am Last post..... none
  3. About the Forum...... posted at 10:45am Last post..... none

Now, you Bernie comes along and sees that Hello World has new posts and Brand new thread is also new. He chooses to read the Hello World thread first. He already read the original message, so it jumps to the 2nd in the list, which is the first one he did not read. He can then read in the same thread, keeping the same context, frame of reference, the rest of the thread. He can then move to the new post "Brand new thread."

The same context is important. Let's say this was a subject list, it would look something like:

1. Re: Hello World...... by Someone
  2. Brand new thread..... by John Doe
  3. Re: Hello World...... by Derek
  4. About the Forum...... posted at 10:45am Last post..... none
  5. Hello World.......... posted at 10:15am Last post..... none

So, Bernie reads the first unread message, which is Hello World. He has to think about what the original thread was about. Then he switches gears and reads about brand new thread. Decides to follow up. Then he hits the next unread message, now he has to shift gears again and think about Hello World again.

Now, more importantly... He decides to reply to your post about Hello World asking for more information so he can answer your question. However, he has not read the post to Hello World by Someone, because he is in single message view and reading message by message. Well, Someone better understood your question and answered it. Thus, making his post (now newer) not helpful or useful. The thread has already been completed.

Jeremy

6. Re: Message List

Two views are "Thread View" and "Subject View". I always thought that Thread and Subject were synonyms, so I would prefer that Subject View be renamed. I vote for Chron View or Rev Chron View (which is technically more accurate but might take up too much screen space).

If I have selected Subject view and I then want to return to the "Message List" I get pushed back to the Thread View. Is that intentional?

If I have selected Subject View and then move to the next page, I am greeted with Thread View. Is that intentional?

At least, that is the way it seems to be at this moment (recognizing that Jeremy might be making changes as I am typing this, as has been his habit in the past :))

Mike

7. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...

I vote for Single Message List as the default view.

Don't know if I voted, but I vote single view. It's just more convenient, and that's a fact. smile

8. Re: Message List

euphoric said...

Don't know if I voted, but I vote single view. It's just more convenient, and that's a fact. smile

You crack me up! "convenient and that's a fact" ... whoa boy. Convenient for who? Why has all the major forum software developers choosen the Thread view as the default? Why are their users not complaining? Probably because the majority of people disagree with your "facts" smile I do think my extended description of how thread view shows pretty clearly that thread view will result in better informed readers, better formed replies and the reduction of useless posts such as you can find all over EUforum (oh, you already answered that, or oh, ignore my last post, I ..., etc...)

Anyway, in the end it's simply user preference. Look at email clients. The real ones come with either threaded or subject views. Why? Because 1/2 the people like threaded, 1/2 the people like subject. In time it will be an option you can set on EUforum as well, but please do not say it's a fact when it clearly is not.

Jeremy

9. Re: Message List

Its perfect the way it is now, just like I always wanted, and thats a fact ( I want a smiley with a pokey out tongue, winking, red cheeks, and sticky up hair in here - whats the code)

Chris

10. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...
euphoric said...

You crack me up! "convenient and that's a fact" ... whoa boy. Convenient for who?

Fact: EuForum has always been a message list. People are used to it, making it more convenient.
Fact: Some other forums on the internet do show thread view by default.
Fact: Forums that show thread view by default average many many posts per day.
Fact: Thread view forums generally have many topics.
Fact: EuForum has one topic and few posts per day.
Fact: It's convenient for every person on the planet.

I will probably move to the thread view myself, as there are a few others forums I frequent that do it that way. It's just that with EuForum, the quantity of posts is so low right now that the thread view isn't really all that appealing. The list view is quick and easy to get through.

And that's a fact.

11. Re: Message List

ChrisB said...

Its perfect the way it is now, just like I always wanted, and thats a fact ( I want a smiley with a pokey out tongue, winking, red cheeks, and sticky up hair in here - whats the code)

Chris

Good idea! Jeremy, how about a smilies list at the bottom, along with the common formatting instructions.

12. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

As a former member of the silent minority (?), I basically agree with Derek. I find the threaded view useful only for looking back at what had happened. Generally speaking, however, I prefer the flat version. I can wait until user accounts, and I can configure it.

Matt

13. Re: Message List

euphoric said...

Fact: EuForum has always been a message list. People are used to it, making it more convenient.

Um, it had threaded view in which as soon as EUforum (new) came online many people said, hey what happened to the threaded view? How am I suppose to read this thing like this?

euphoric said...

Fact: Some other forums on the internet do show thread view by default.

Most

euphoric said...

Fact: Forums that show thread view by default average many many posts per day.

Huh?!? You may read lists like that, but I follow many myself that are lucky to get 1 post a week!

euphoric said...

Fact: Thread view forums generally have many topics.

We have 30,398 right now and of course growing.

euphoric said...

Fact: EuForum has one topic and few posts per day.

Here are the number of posts every day for the past two months:

Date #
2008-06-01 26
2008-06-02 28
2008-06-03 60
2008-06-04 32
2008-06-05 136
2008-06-06 198
2008-06-07 58
2008-06-08 33
2008-06-09 6
2008-06-10 32
2008-06-11 30
2008-06-12 58
2008-06-13 27
2008-06-14 20
2008-06-15 24
2008-06-16 26
2008-06-17 30
2008-06-18 60
2008-06-19 19
2008-06-20 13
2008-06-21 14
2008-06-22 6
2008-06-29 3
2008-06-30 27
2008-07-01 22
2008-07-02 66
2008-07-03 67
2008-07-04 41
2008-07-05 44
2008-07-06 49
2008-07-07 32
2008-07-08 49
2008-07-09 21
2008-07-10 37
2008-07-11 64
2008-07-12 36
2008-07-13 109
2008-07-14 49
2008-07-15 69
2008-07-16 42
2008-07-17 38
euphoric said...

Fact: It's convenient for every person on the planet.

Hm, I and others must not have been aware we lived on Mars grin

Jeremy

14. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

Same opinion on all counts.

CChris

15. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Hm, I and others must not have been aware we lived on Mars grin

Dude, stop feeding the trolls. :P

Matt

16. Re: Message List

CChris said...
Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

CChris

The Forum seems to have made a leap from simple, clear, and elegant to downright confusing.

17. Re: Message List

Kenneth Rhodes said...
CChris said...
Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

CChris

The Forum seems to have made a leap from simple, clear, and elegant to downright confusing.

I like it just fine. It can only get better when we are able to save our individual exccentricities in cookies (or whatever). Already, it's much nicer and easier to use than most forums I use.

18. Re: Message List

I'm sorry, but IMHO the threaded view is far simpler to follow, far easier to follow updated threads, and far easier to skip threads I have no interest in (like compiling eu 4.0, and the everlasting smileys discussion)

Yes, lets have user accounts, where all you old stick in the muds can stay, well, stuck in the mud ( I don't like change Diedre (said in a Yorkshire accent))

Don't you change it back Jeremy, don't you touch it, no, no no..

Chris

19. Re: Message List

Kenneth Rhodes said...

I'm confused, but I guess it's just simple sociology. When I put online EUforum to start, one of the first things that started to be complained about was the lack of the Threaded View and how the Threaded View should be the default view and how Threaded View is the standard in forum software, which it indeed is! And the threaded view that is shown here on EUforum works exactly as it does in phpBB and others. phpBB is the largest forum software that exists, meaning the one with the largest install base. Every phpBB based forum I have ever seen has always been thread based view.

I think where the sociology comes into play is At first, the ones w/o thread view were without therefore felt the need to speak out about their misfortune. Those who were happy (the Subject View folks) silently ignored the discussions because they were happy with what they had and didn't really care what threaded message list really is, let alone get involved in the discussion. Now that threaded view is the default, the Subject View people feel they are without now they are speaking up.

I really see only benefit from the Threaded View, as do other forum software developers. Can someone please explain to me what they feel is so complex about it? I believe I described pretty well (maybe not) how it works in this message:

http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=message&id=100957#100957

Please read that post all by itself, starting after Derek's last quote. I think it's intuitive, keeps you on focus, reduces the amount of information swapping, link clicking, mis-posts, etc... Then once you read that, please let me know where Threaded View is confusing or is lacking in ability. Maybe it's something we can all learn from and make the forum even better.

Jeremy

20. Re: Message List

Hmm,

Maybe we should get Kat's neighbour Rotties to go and discuss the thread issue with Derek.

Chris

21. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...

There was no poll, but on early stages quite a few people complained strongly about the subject list view and why there was no thread view. Further, the thread view is the standard of any forum software I've seen.

I don't think I said that there should not be a threaded view. However, I can see where our experiences might have molded our different points of view. I tend to avoid web-based forums because they (yes, this is an opinion) tend to be more cumbersome to use than simpler lists. Maybe I've had too much exposure to Usenet. blink

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Derek Parnell said...

That information is available on the Threaded Message List as well. You have the Star icon. The thing is, you can get more threads shown at one time because there are not 10 messages for 1 thread at the top of the list. I recently ~2 hours made a change to the what happens when you click a subject in the Threaded View. It no longer takes you to the top of the message list, but it now takes you to the first message in the thread that you have not read. So, there may be 5 new posts to the thread. When you click on the thread subject, you are taken to the first one you did not read. You can scroll up to get things more in context if you want.

Thank you for this.
However there might be a bug or two. I current have a http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png against "EuWiki - Up" thread, so that means that I haven't read all the messages, right? However, I have read them all. Even reloading the page won't convince the forum that I've read them all. So, sometimes the http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png works. As for going to the message I haven't read, again sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - I can't predict what it will do.
But assuming all that worked ... here I am ... I started in Thread view, clicked on a thread, takes me to the message I haven't read ... I read it ... then I want to go to the next message I haven't read. Hmmm... there is no button that will do that. I have to press [BACK] or [Message List] button (which btw is really a thread list), then click on the next 'unread' thread.

Whereas what I do now is click on [Subject list] (which, btw is really a message list) then click on the oldest unread message, then after reading it, click on the [Newer] button to get the next message. I find this simple and intuitive. Maybe its because I'm a bit simple, eh? blink

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Derek Parnell said...

It's ordered by the last post date ...

Thank you, it wasn't terribly clear at first glance.

Jeremy Cowgar said...

So, Bernie reads the first unread message, which is Hello World. He has to think about what the original thread was about. Then he switches gears and reads about brand new thread. Decides to follow up. Then he hits the next unread message, now he has to shift gears again and think about Hello World again.

Now, more importantly... He decides to reply to your post about Hello World asking for more information so he can answer your question. However, he has not read the post to Hello World by Someone, because he is in single message view and reading message by message. Well, Someone better understood your question and answered it. Thus, making his post (now newer) not helpful or useful. The thread has already been completed.

Unless of course, "Bernie" isn't as simple as you have portrayed.

I find that "shifting gears" is no effort. I nearly always read all messages before replying.

Also you seem to be talking about Threaded View in which all messages for a given thread are on the same page, but I was initially talking about the Threaded List view, they are not the same.
It is also possible for someone using Threaded View to reply to a message before they read the rest of the messages in the thread, no?

22. Re: Message List

ChrisB said...

Hmm,

Maybe we should get Kat's neighbour Rotties to go and discuss the thread issue with Derek.

Chris

I find no humour in that comment. A little childish insensitivity, but no humour.

23. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Kenneth Rhodes said...

I'm confused, but I guess it's just simple sociology. When I put online EUforum to start, one of the first things that started to be complained about was the lack of the Threaded View and how the Threaded View should be the default view and how Threaded View is the standard in forum software, which it indeed is! And the threaded view that is shown here on EUforum works exactly as it does in phpBB and others. phpBB is the largest forum software that exists, meaning the one with the largest install base. Every phpBB based forum I have ever seen has always been thread based view.

I think where the sociology comes into play is At first, the ones w/o thread view were without therefore felt the need to speak out about their misfortune. Those who were happy (the Subject View folks) silently ignored the discussions because they were happy with what they had and didn't really care what threaded message list really is, let alone get involved in the discussion. Now that threaded view is the default, the Subject View people feel they are without now they are speaking up.

I really see only benefit from the Threaded View, as do other forum software developers. Can someone please explain to me what they feel is so complex about it? I believe I described pretty well (maybe not) how it works in this message:

http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=message&id=100957#100957

Please read that post all by itself, starting after Derek's last quote. I think it's intuitive, keeps you on focus, reduces the amount of information swapping, link clicking, mis-posts, etc... Then once you read that, please let me know where Threaded View is confusing or is lacking in ability. Maybe it's something we can all learn from and make the forum even better.

Jeremy

I've read quite a few forums on the Internet, using phpBB, vBulletin, Xoops, and others. I am quite familiar with the concept of threads.

However, like ChrisB accused, I am a "stick in the mud". I'm used to Euforum behaving in a certain way and I prefer to read it in that way. I prefer to read all messages in chronological order, not subject order.

But I'm not asking you to change anything I've seen enough people request threads and/or standard forum-type behavior to know that some people prefer that. I'm personally okay with either clicking on the "subject view" (really should be "list view") button or going directly to it manually.

24. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Can someone please explain to me what they feel is so complex about it?

I do not find either the Threaded List or the Threaded Message views complex. It is simply that they do not pattern themselves to the manner in which I prefer to work in.

For the List view, I am more comfortable in seeing a list of messages, regardless of their topic, in chronological order. I just like it that way.

For the Message view, I like to be able to do a one-button click to see the next unread message, regardless of what that next message's subject is. I just like it that way.

It has nothing to do with simple verses complex. I find working one way is easier for me than working another way and YMMV.

These are my opinions and I am not asking or expecting anyone else to agree or change their ways

25. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...

However there might be a bug or two. I current have a http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png against "EuWiki - Up" thread, so that means that I haven't read all the messages, right? However, I have read them all. Even reloading the page won't convince the forum that I've read them all. So, sometimes the http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png works. As for going to the message I haven't read, again sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - I can't predict what it will do.

Oh! It just dawned on me. Someone on IRC was reporting the same issue but did not state which thread. It all makes sense now. In the main post (the thread starter), I cache the last_post_id. I look to see if you have read that post_id to determine if there are new messages or not. With the EuWiki - Up thread, I had Ryan post a message or two there for testing, then immediately deleted them. I read them. Hardly no one else (except Ryan) read them. Now on the EuWiki thread, it's looking to see if you have read a post that no longer exists. It sees you have not. Viewing the message thread still does not make you read it, as it no longer exists.

I will fix this thread of that issue. When the user accounts come, there will be a real admin interface which admins can delete messages and it'll take care of updating the cached data. My DELETE FROM ...... did not. Sorry about that. However, bug identified and bug will be fixed.

Derek Parnell said...

But assuming all that worked ... here I am ... I started in Thread view, clicked on a thread, takes me to the message I haven't read ... I read it ... then I want to go to the next message I haven't read. Hmmm... there is no button that will do that. I have to press [BACK] or [Message List] button (which btw is really a thread list), then click on the next 'unread' thread.

Whereas what I do now is click on [Subject list] (which, btw is really a message list) then click on the oldest unread message, then after reading it, click on the [Newer] button to get the next message. I find this simple and intuitive. Maybe its because I'm a bit simple, eh? blink

Ok... So you want a next thread and previous thread, which is forthcoming.

Derek Parnell said...

I find that "shifting gears" is no effort. I nearly always read all messages before replying.

Many people do not and it's not their fault, it's the way the Subject List View makes people act.

Derek Parnell said...

Also you seem to be talking about Threaded View in which all messages for a given thread are on the same page, but I was initially talking about the Threaded List view, they are not the same.

Hm, I used the wrong term. I have been talking about the Threaded List View. I need to go back and review all the terminology and fix it. I'll probably do that once everyone gets use to the warped terms used now. getlost

Derek Parnell said...

It is also possible for someone using Threaded View to reply to a message before they read the rest of the messages in the thread, no?

Possible, yes.

Jeremy

26. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...

These are my opinions and I am not asking or expecting anyone else to agree or change their ways

I think this is important. Threaded List vs. Subject List is all just an opinion and very much how we like to work. Is one better than another? Certainly not. Is one better than the other for me? Yes. Is that same one better for you also? Probably not.

In the end the user accounts w/the default setting will fix all of this.

Jeremy

27. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Derek Parnell said...

Oh! It just dawned on me. Someone on IRC was reporting the same issue but did not state which thread. It all makes sense now. In the main post (the thread starter), I cache the last_post_id. I look to see if you have read that post_id to determine if there are new messages or not. With the EuWiki - Up thread, I had Ryan post a message or two there for testing, then immediately deleted them. I read them. Hardly no one else (except Ryan) read them. Now on the EuWiki thread, it's looking to see if you have read a post that no longer exists. It sees you have not. Viewing the message thread still does not make you read it, as it no longer exists.

I will fix this thread of that issue.

Fixed

Jeremy

28. Re: Message List

I don't know if this has been reported, since I'm having great trouble reading the messages now. I can switch to Message List, or is it Subject List for the first page fine. No sweat, there. When I click on page 2, it jumps back to thread view. When I try to click Subject List again, it jumps back to page 1. Therefore, if there has been heavy posting, I cannot read any message more than an hour hold, and will likely miss questions or comments in the interim.

I don't suppose you kept your earlier revision handy, did you?

29. Re: Message List

Michael Sabal said...

I don't know if this has been reported, since I'm having great trouble reading the messages now. I can switch to Message List, or is it Subject List for the first page fine. No sweat, there. When I click on page 2, it jumps back to thread view. When I try to click Subject List again, it jumps back to page 1. Therefore, if there has been heavy posting, I cannot read any message more than an hour hold, and will likely miss questions or comments in the interim.

I don't suppose you kept your earlier revision handy, did you?

Yes, I do everything in SVN. I could revert, or I could fix the bug smile Let me work on fixing the bug.

Jeremy

30. Re: Message List

Derek Parnell said...
ChrisB said...

Hmm,

Chris

I find no humour in that comment. A little childish insensitivity, but no humour.

Yes, it was. Sorry. (Note to self, don't drink wine, and read this list)

Chris

31. Re: Message List

Fernando said...

When I try to change the page in Message List, it shows the Thread list. Is this intentional ?

This is fixed.

Jeremy

32. Re: Message List

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Fernando said...

When I try to change the page in Message List, it shows the Thread list. Is this intentional ?

This is fixed.

Jeremy

Thank you :)

33. Re: Message List

I read EuForum messages on two different computers, at home and at work.

Sorting out which messages I read already is much simpler with a chronological list with timestamps than with a thread view, because with the latter it is not straightforward to determine what was read or not, apart from remembering the posts.

Waiting for user accounts so as to get over the issue once for all. But I found the switch to thread view by default problematic for the reason above.

CChris

34. Re: Message List

Hey guys,

I understand both sides of the problem on Message List vs Threaded View. And I'm personally one of the Threaded View people. However, you have to realize, we're still implementing things in the code. I'm hopeful, that after I get this current problem I'm experiencing with Cookies solved, that I'll finally be able to get Cookies working properly, and finally User Accounts. Currently, everything is working as I expect it to, except for Cookies, which is what I'm debugging as we speak, and trying to kick into gear. Hopefully very soon we'll be able to get the "User Preferences" and "Account System" into EUforum, and really get rid of all these problems that people are having.

Bear with me, as I get this code working!

L8ers,

Mario Steele

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu