1. Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Jeremy,
I wonder if you could make it so the author of a post could "revisit" any of their already posted messages, for deleting or adding or editing? The "Preview" is wonderful, but even so maybe sometimes a later thought could be more reasonably added to an existing post rather than put into another post later? I'm not sure it's a completely good idea, as it could mess with readers sense of what content they've already read, but I have seen the option on other forums, and found it sometimes useful. Not sure if it would mess with threads?

Dan

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Dan M. said...

Jeremy,
I wonder if you could make it so the author of a post could "revisit" any of their already posted messages, for deleting or adding or editing? The "Preview" is wonderful, but even so maybe sometimes a later thought could be more reasonably added to an existing post rather than put into another post later? I'm not sure it's a completely good idea, as it could mess with readers sense of what content they've already read, but I have seen the option on other forums, and found it sometimes useful. Not sure if it would mess with threads?

Dan

This would require adding a "modified" status icon in addidition to "viewed", would make the view count less valuable (which corrected version was viewed?) and would cause some replies to look weird, since they quote or react to modified parts in a post.

Interesting challenges.

CChris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Dan M. said...

Jeremy,

Yes, you will have the ability to edit your post once user accounts are done.

Jeremy

4. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

CChris said...
Dan M. said...

Jeremy,
I wonder if you could make it so the author of a post could "revisit" any of their already posted messages, for deleting or adding or editing?

This would require adding a "modified" status icon in addidition to "viewed", would make the view count less valuable (which corrected version was viewed?) and would cause some replies to look weird, since they quote or react to modified parts in a post.

Yes, this is the problem, however, I do find I post and wish I would have said this, or said that differently. When a post is edited, it will say "Edited on 5/10/2009 at 5:45 PM EST" and the editing feature will only be open for the first 30 minutes or so. At least that's how I have seen it done in the past.

Then leave the rest to the community. If I post a message and once I get replies go back and edit my posts to make people look silly, then you should just cease replying to my messages.

Jeremy

5. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
CChris said...
Dan M. said...

Jeremy,
I wonder if you could make it so the author of a post could "revisit" any of their already posted messages, for deleting or adding or editing?

Yes, this is the problem, however, I do find I post and wish I would have said this, or said that differently. When a post is edited, it will say "Edited on 5/10/2009 at 5:45 PM EST" and the editing feature will only be open for the first 30 minutes or so. At least that's how I have seen it done in the past.

Then leave the rest to the community. If I post a message and once I get replies go back and edit my posts to make people look silly, then you should just cease replying to my messages.

Jeremy

Maybe just allow edit if only 1 view recorded (author's)?

6. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Dan M. said...
Dan M. said...

Jeremy,

I think we should allow it for the first 30 minutes and see if we have a problem. I doubt we will. I can also look at other forums and see how they handle the problem.

Jeremy

7. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...
Dan M. said...

Jeremy,

I think we should allow it for the first 30 minutes and see if we have a problem. I doubt we will. I can also look at other forums and see how they handle the problem.

Jeremy

What about just keeping revisions in case anyone is interested in what was originally written? That negates the first concern of editing for nefarious purposes, and allows any doubt to be removed if a dispute or misunderstanding does arise from an edit. It's good enough for wiki style... at least the 'first seen' version can be corrected for typos etc.

Besides, if you don't correct something within a few hours these days it'll be preserved anyway by Google cache, Archive.org or whoeverelse is doing that sort of thing these days.

Gary

8. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Gary Shingles said...

What about just keeping revisions in case anyone is interested in what was originally written? That negates the first concern of editing for nefarious purposes, and allows any doubt to be removed if a dispute or misunderstanding does arise from an edit. It's good enough for wiki style... at least the 'first seen' version can be corrected for typos etc.

I think before we get too involved, we should just see if we have a problem. My guess is we will not. I looked at a few other forum packages and they do not have fancy controls in place. I'd rather not make things needlessly complex. Features before the problem is sort of like optimizing too early.

Jeremy

9. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

This is one idea that I think is really bad. I'm ticked so. I'll edit/remove many of my most useful posts. That'll show them. or I didn't say that. Look at my post. that I edited just minutes ago to remove that offending info.

Yes, I've seen it on other boards, and I didn't like it there either. People will miss the corrections because they read it before it took place. People will claim things didn't happen, That did.

My opinion is that, your post, once posted, is no longer your property, but the property of the EuForum. Like it or not. You said it, You live with it.

Unkmar - Lucius L. Hilley III 

PS: I'll let Jeremy figure out where this is going wrong. It happens with <eucode> as well.

Blah, boom 

10. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Editing within a window short of time is reasonable.

11. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Unkmar said...

It happens with <eucode> as well.

The <eucode> start and end tags must be on a line of their own. But the {{{ }}} tags do not.

12. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Hmm, The blah boom part is broken when previewed. Try previewing something that ends with a closing Creole without a new line.

Unkmar 

13. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Unkmar said...

Editing within a window short of time is reasonable.

That was suppose to say.
Editing within a short window of time is reasonable.

14. Re: Forum: cancel/edit one&#039s own post?

Unkmar said...

Hmm, The blah boom part is broken when previewed. Try previewing something that ends with a closing Creole without a new line.

Unkmar 

Thanks. You're right; block no-wiki is failing when there is no new-line at the end of the message.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu