1. Smileys

Ok, I have given one other set a try, feedback?

• : -) .......... smile
  • : -P .......... tongue
  • : -D .......... grin
  • : -O .......... shocked
  • : -/ .......... getlost
  • ^ _^ .......... pleased
  • : -( .......... sad
  • ; -) .......... blink
  • > :[] .......... >:[]
  • B -D .......... cool
  • : '( .......... cry
  • > :) .......... >:)
  • : -* .......... kiss
  • : lol: .......... lol
  • : oops: .......... oops
  • : sick: .......... unwell
  • : heart: .......... heart
  • : zzz: .......... zzz
new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Ok, I have given one other set a try, feedback?

• : -) .......... smile
  • : -P .......... tongue
  • : -D .......... grin
  • : -O .......... shocked
  • : -/ .......... getlost
  • ^ _^ .......... pleased
  • : -( .......... sad
  • ; -) .......... blink
  • > :[] .......... >:[]
  • B -D .......... cool
  • : '( .......... cry
  • > :) .......... >:)
  • : -* .......... kiss
  • : lol: .......... lol
  • : oops: .......... oops
  • : sick: .......... unwell
  • : heart: .......... heart
  • : zzz: .......... zzz

Those look pretty good. I like that they're less blocky than the last set.

j.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Smileys

Oh, view:

http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=message&id=100452#100452

For how they appear in a paragraph.

Jeremy

4. Re: Smileys

Looking good, Jeremy. Unless anything better comes along, I'd keep this set. grin

5. Re: Smileys

I like this new set of smileys a lot!

They're visible, rather than pale, they're individually expressive, and there's a wide range of expression available with them. Great! smile

Two questions:
1. When I look via Preview, the blue box background of a smiley is almost (not quite) invisible, but when a message is viewed, I see a blue box around the smiley against the white of the message background. I think you or someone said something about a browser setting that related to this, because the smiley icons themselves in fact have transparent backgrounds??

2. I guess : -) is the "normal" smiling smiley, but I wonder if you could translate :) into smile also? It's just a little faster to type, not really important at all.

Dan

6. Re: Smileys

Dan M. said...

I like this new set of smileys a lot!

They're visible, rather than pale, they're individually expressive, and there's a wide range of expression available with them. Great! smile

Two questions:
1. When I look via Preview, the blue box background of a smiley is almost (not quite) invisible, but when a message is viewed, I see a blue box around the smiley against the white of the message background. I think you or someone said something about a browser setting that related to this, because the smiley icons themselves in fact have transparent backgrounds??

2. I guess : -) is the "normal" smiling smiley, but I wonder if you could translate :) into smile also? It's just a little faster to type, not really important at all.

Dan

Forgot to include: Looking forward to when you have time to add a "selection box" of some sort for smileys, bold/italic/etc, links, etc. smile

Dan

7. Re: Smileys

Dan M. said...

Hm, I cannot seem to replicate this. What browser/version and OS are you running?

Dan M. said...

I was hesitant do that because there are many that will conflict w/other types of text we may enter, especially source code, if I make all the short versions of smileys converted to.

Jeremy

8. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Hm, I cannot seem to replicate this. What browser/version and OS are you running?

IE 6.0, Win XP

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

I was hesitant do that because there are many that will conflict w/other types of text we may enter, especially source code, if I make all the short versions of smileys converted to.

Jeremy

Oh, ok, that's fine.

Dan

9. Re: Smileys

PNG on IE versus Firefox. IE doesn't handle transparency of PNG files. Use GIF to resolve the issue.

Unkmar 

10. Re: Smileys

Unkmar said...

PNG on IE versus Firefox. IE doesn't handle transparency of PNG files. Use GIF to resolve the issue.

Unkmar 

Thank you Lucius.
Now, since the current set of smileys is pretty nice, does someone know how to translate PNG file to GIF?

Dan

11. Re: Smileys

GIF has patent issues. We should just use PNG.

Dan M. said...
Unkmar said...

Unkmar 

Thank you Lucius.
Now, since the current set of smileys is pretty nice, does someone know how to translate PNG file to GIF?

Dan

12. Re: Smileys

Jim C. Brown said...

Ok, I can live with the tiny blue border square.

Dan

Jim C. Brown said...
Dan M. said...
Unkmar said...

Unkmar 

Thank you Lucius.

Dan

13. Re: Smileys

Jim C. Brown said...

Dan M. said...
Unkmar said...

Unkmar 

Thank you Lucius.

Dan

gif patent expired in like, 2004 or so.

But otherwise, yes. We should use png.

14. Re: Smileys

Unkmar said...

Or ditch IE to resolve the issue and use a compliant browser instead. blink

15. Re: Smileys

Derek Parnell said...
Unkmar said...

Urk, I wish I could, but the company I work for swears to IE... >:( I use XnView to convert images..

Kenneth / ZNorQ

16. Re: Smileys

ZNorQ said...
Derek Parnell said...
Unkmar said...

Urk, I wish I could, but the company I work for swears to IE... >:( I use XnView to convert images..

Kenneth / ZNorQ

Check this one out... [http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif|new.gif]

Kenneth / ZNorQ

17. Re: Smileys

ZNorQ said...
ZNorQ said...
Derek Parnell said...
Unkmar said...

Kenneth / ZNorQ

Check this one out... [http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif|new.gif]

Kenneth / ZNorQ

Ehr, don't know what happend there, but obviously I did something that "does not compute".. I'll try again; http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif

Kenneth / ZNorQ

18. Re: Smileys

ZNorQ said...
ZNorQ said...
ZNorQ said...
Derek Parnell said...
Unkmar said...

Kenneth / ZNorQ

Check this one out... http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif Kenneth / ZNorQ

Ehr, don't know what happend there, but obviously I did something that "does not compute".. I'll try again; http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif

Kenneth / ZNorQ

Hmm... 3rd attempt..

Kenneth / ZNorQ

19. Re: Smileys

ZNorQ said...

Check this one out...

That looks like a creole bug, but in any case the correct markup uses double brackets ...

[[http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif|new.gif]] > new.gif

20. Re: Smileys

Derek Parnell said...

In fact you can bring the image into the post itself by using double braces ...

{{http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif}} > http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif

21. Re: Smileys

Derek Parnell said...
ZNorQ said...

Check this one out...

That looks like a creole bug, but in any case the correct markup uses double brackets ...

[[http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif|new.gif]] > new.gif

Yeah, I noticed that after my 3rd attempt.. Actually, didn't see the "common formatting" notations below until now.. Thanks though.

As for the final outcome of my png->gif conversion, I'm not quite happy with it.. Seems XnView isn't the best tool, or maybe the user isn't doing it correctly.. :)

Kenneth / ZNorQ

22. Re: Smileys

Wow, I am very surprised at the difference. The .GIF version is not crisp at all. The .PNG version looks great, the .GIF looks pretty bad.

http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png

Oh, BTW... I have IE 7 on my box and the PNG's have no problem. They look just as good as they do in Firefox.

Jeremy

23. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Wow, I am very surprised at the difference. The .GIF version is not crisp at all. The .PNG version looks great, the .GIF looks pretty bad.

http://www.znorq.net/euphoria/images/forum/new.gif http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/images/new.png

Oh, BTW... I have IE 7 on my box and the PNG's have no problem. They look just as good as they do in Firefox.

Jeremy

That's because PNG supports alpha transparency, whereas GIF only support binary transparency. Therefore, PNG images "blend" into the background much better. I've always used PNG images over GIFs. I've pretty much stopped caring that IE6 doesn't properly support them. Get Firefox or deal with it, IMHO. blink

-Greg

24. Re: Smileys

Greg Haberek said...

That's because PNG supports alpha transparency, whereas GIF only support binary transparency. Therefore, PNG images "blend" into the background much better. I've always used PNG images over GIFs. I've pretty much stopped caring that IE6 doesn't properly support them. Get Firefox or deal with it, IMHO. blink

Not to mention GIF is index to 256 colours, and even using an optimised palette can look pretty bad, but I'll still GIF for transparency until I see the browser stats heavily favour IE7 or Firefox. At the moment (from a quick inexhaustive random survey :)) the stats seem to slightly favour "gecko based" (~40%) with IE6 and IE7 roughly equal (~25%).

I use IE6 mostly and IE7 and Firefox occasionally just to check compatibility. But yeah, IE6 is getting pretty tired now.

Gary

25. Re: Smileys

Jason Gade said...
Jim C. Brown said...

Dan M. said...
Unkmar said...

Unkmar 

Thank you Lucius.

Dan

gif patent expired in like, 2004 or so.

But otherwise, yes. We should use png.

This exert is from the link provided in the previous post:
Consequently, while Unisys has further patents and patent applications relating to improvements to the LZW technique, the GIF format may now be used freely.

That being said. I suggest we use PNG or JPG except for when transparency is needed. Microsoft has apparently decided that Internet Explorer should not support the transparency portion of the PNG format. GIF is the only image format that is cross browser supported for transparency.

Unkmar

26. Re: Smileys

Unkmar said...

That being said. I suggest we use PNG or JPG except for when transparency is needed. Microsoft has apparently decided that Internet Explorer should not support the transparency portion of the PNG format. GIF is the only image format that is cross browser supported for transparency.

IE 7 and up support PNG just fine. IE 7 is available for XP right? (I am assuming, but don't really know).

Jeremy

27. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...

IE 7 is available for XP right?

Yes, I use IE7 on XP (when I absolutely have to). Otherwise I'm happy with Opera v9.51 or Safari v3.1.2 on XP.

28. Re: Smileys

Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

IE 7 is available for XP right?

Yes, I use IE7 on XP (when I absolutely have to). Otherwise I'm happy with Opera v9.51 or Safari v3.1.2 on XP.

Derek,

Does Opera or Safari have problems with PNG images on Windows?

Jeremy

29. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Jeremy

Yeah, I agree. The strange thing is that the png version contains no more than aprox 130 colors, so it should easily be converted to gif (I would suppose).

Kenneth / ZNorQ

30. Re: Smileys

Greg Haberek said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

Jeremy

-Greg

I'm not quite the wizz on this, does this mean that it blends the colors of the star with the background colors?

Still, I don't quite buy that this should generate such a jagged apperance on the converted png->gif image as both contain no more than 130 colors?

Kenneth / ZNorQ

31. Re: Smileys

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Does Opera or Safari have problems with PNG images on Windows?

None whatsoever.

32. Re: Smileys

ZNorQ said...

I'm not quite the wizz on this, does this mean that it blends the colors of the star with the background colors?

Yes, exactly. The outer edges of the star are alpha blended so they fade in with the background. This produces a smooth edge in such a small space (16x16 pixels).

ZNorQ said...

Still, I don't quite buy that this should generate such a jagged apperance on the converted png->gif image as both contain no more than 130 colors?

It's not the number of colors involved, but the transparency support overall. The GIF format simply does not support alpha blending. Therefore the alpha channel is dropped when the image is converted and all the fancy blending goes with it. The pixels you see missing from the GIF image are the alpha pixels in the PNG image.

-Greg

33. Re: Smileys

A bit more information...

Wikipedia said...

Comparison with GIF

• On most images, PNG can achieve greater compression than GIF
  • PNG gives a much wider range of transparency options than GIF, including alpha channel transparency.
  • PNG gives a much wider range of color depths than GIF (truecolor up to 48-bit compared to 8-bit 256-color), allowing for greater color precision, smoother fades, etc.
  • GIF supports animation while PNG does not
  • PNG images are widely supported (for instance, with modern web browsers and office software), but not as widely supported as GIF images.

In fact, I suggest going over the entire PNG article, it makes for a good read. smile

-Greg

34. Re: Smileys

[quote Greg Haberek] A bit more information...

Wikipedia said...

Comparison with GIF

• GIF supports animation while PNG does not

-Greg

There is a less popular (and less supported) MNG format that supports animation. If we ever need animation on here, that is... I'm perfectly happy with PNG.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu