Re: inpout32

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

According to ultimate64.com, v1 is out of stock, and v2 hasn't been built yet.

Ouch. Yeah, so as I wrote some months ago you'd have to settle for pre-ordering v2 and trying to stag v1 off of a reseller like ebay or something, unfortunately.

katsmeow said...

According to mega65.org, it does not have the gpio ports.

Ouch. I wonder if there's a third system that's being sold right now that would work...

katsmeow said...

The mega65 can run at 40Mhz. The gotchas on both machines includes working ram size, variables are limited to 200..254 bytes. Stupid that with 32 GB onboard, the program plus data is limited to 32 KB.

Ouch. I guess that's a limit of an 8-bit CPU. It seems they support REUs to add more memory, though.

In any case, as you were able to deal with these limitations back in the 80s and still get it to work, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this still ends up being better, with its warts and all. After all, we went to the moon with only 4kb.

katsmeow said...

Back in 1900, with no internal combustion engines to speak of, the steam engine was a good temporary deal with the devil.

I'd argue we still use them. Albeit they are stationary in coal and nuclear power plants, but they do the same job.

katsmeow said...

When the 6502 came out, it was a good deal because it beat the cost of it's competitor by more than 90%, and had a few better addressing ideas.

This is a line I'd love to see revived and modernized.

katsmeow said...

This doesn't mean anything i mentioned should ever be built again. But modern variations could be a good thing.

Yup.

katsmeow said...

Maybe the Basic Stamp, it's mostly 1/2 price now.....

Kat

I didn't understand this..

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu