Re: Mind blowingly impressive.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

I am not seeing the Ultimate64 as being a step forward to getting the lawn mower to take a step forward.

Kat

That comes as a bit of a surprise (the lawn mower I mean, since this is the first time you mentioned it).

I'm curious if it's specifically the lawn mower step that you saw it not working (which might be a good example of sneaking in a "move the goal posts" sort of thing), or did you see an issue with the earlier steps discussed too (like turning a fan on the roof, or stuff related to your car engine)? In the car engine case I'm curious as to why that wouldn't have been mentioned earlier in the other thread when it was first brought up.

katsmeow said...

There's some generic pata-to-ram modules floating around.

If you have any good links, I would love to learn more about this. A few searches couldn't find anything useful...

petelomax said...

(At this point I think it's fair to say that Euphoria/Phix almost certainly simply ain't gonna play any part in the solution you seek.)

Agreed. It's a shame that Euphoria/Phix must be tied to windoze for this particular user to be useful, since Linux in particular makes it really easy to directly access physical memory like so:

mem = open("/dev/mem", "rw") 
seek(mem, YOUR_DEVICE_ADDRESS_HERE) 
puts(mem, ...) 
x = get_bytes(mem, num) 

(Paired with passing "memmap=0x[start_addr]$0x[end_addr]" as a Linux Kernel Parameter on boot as a guard on other programs or processes from using it, naturally.)

Edit: In other words, no C glue is required. It's almost 100% Eu, with some nix bootloader config as the only non Eu part.

But of course, the right tool for the right job and all that.

Edit2: Alas, here's some highly knowledgble folks who point out that the related Windoze trick of direct memory access last worked in Windows 2000: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2008-April/165550.html

Edit2 Cont.: I didn't realize but nowadays Linux comes with a command line utility to directly edit physical memory!

sudo busybox devmem 0x12345678 # read 
sudo busybox devmem 0x12345678 w 0x9abcdef0 # write 

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu