Re: Hypatia 3.0

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

has no relation to the Commodore 64, it's about 3 "party guys".

Kat

That's why I didn't mention it. I find myself wondering why you did...

katsmeow said...

Everything is out of stock, and no news since August 2022, 18 months ago.

Ouch! Guess we missed the window on this. Here's hoping that they'll have something soon.. Ultimate64 promises to be available sometime in 2024.

Or Plan B, grab it from ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/166201644466?itmmeta=01HPJRXKYH0ARWVB2CDN7KNHK3&hash=item26b263d5b2:g:PTwAAOSwkF9knd9I&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwJxqqzPAqqamhht69p%2FAZQUkCaRBd8B2T1zo5oEPQcybggjj0FCDlT7mM0ySvFYx5yX3uGCqWakRarf7jS1mlqBZK%2BujmFn%2BPSguVz6TLsTlD3%2FbR9nqp3HIPw5J0ZvQ5giuzCbq6x8IXxf%2BrYWGldBV%2FpeBfE1ggUgd0m%2FPY%2FwovQOxB%2BRiSRCepu1geOuXbK6UFxwpSYnCRJcSKkQkTbOezK3kIxL6lScpNt3Q0nExAcSHwulT%2F3q4%2FhoncV96Zw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9a_9ti0Yw

katsmeow said...

And if i got everything they sell, i'd have a system totally incompatible with OE and the modern wintel hardware i have.

Even so, the right tool for the right job, eh? OE on nix with C glue doesn't work for you due to an adversion to nix and to C, while OE on windoze doesn't work due to the limitations that get placed on those systems.

Also, I wouldn't think they're totally incompatible. Ultimate64 supports USB and ethernet, so I'd think there must be some way to network it to windoze boxen if you'd prefer that sort of thing.

irv said...

Sorry, but you are the one who bought a consumer-grade computer desgned to deliver "content" - YouTube and Amazon shopping - instead of a commercial-grade one designed to operate sensors and machinery.

katsmeow said...

Sorry, but what commercial grade computer do you mean that does not have the same usb and sata and lan ports this one has?r

For example, there are lots of cheap chromebooks and the like that mostly fit this bill. It's not just windoze that's the problem.

But I think this might comment might also have been made in light of my suggestion for C64 compatible systems and hardware. If that worked for you in the past, and is still available, it's reasonable to ask why it wouldn't work for you now. (I will note though that you have since answered this - it's because it's out of stock and you have some worries about integrating it with windoze.)

irv said...

You are the one who insists on using an operating system that was never stable enough nor designed to do what you want it to do.

katsmeow said...

Then why is it every nix user i know is down more than i am?

You don't know me? I have uptimes of over a decade now.

katsmeow said...

Why is it more people use windows at home than any other OS?

I .. doubt this is still true. iOS and Android are both nix derivatives, and I think more folks use them than a traditional desktop or laptop.

If we restrict to the traditional systems and to devs, then I think this is still not true - what I've seen is that MacBooks rule in the ICT sector. And OS X is another nix derivative.

irv said...

You made a choice to reject any information or advice from people who are actually building and using things that do what you claim you want to do.

No one to blame but you, is there?

katsmeow said...

You are right, i should never have started with Euphoria, because it is all those things you just put down Windows for. It's unstable, buggy, and isn't designed to do anything but virtual online stuff.

Kat

Well, the nix version is a bit better in some regards here. But again, the right tool for the right job - if a C64 (or a modern version like Ultimate64) can get the job done more easily...

Eu started as an MS-DOS only language, and considering that it had things like assembly support and other low level stuff in it (that made stuff like direct hardware access possible) (well with the right libraries at least) this was a decision that almost certainly made sense at the time. But now Eu has long left its DOS roots and the windoze and nix beasts are beasts of a very different nature.

katsmeow said...

Since you show the need to keep this open, Jim,

Me?? I mean, you're the one that keeps responding with unrelated ancedotes about dogs and stuff.

katsmeow said...

Re the dogs, a subject Euphoric rode me for years about on this forum, well, last year six of them killed and ate all his goats, and then in November one dog topped it off by killing his 3 month old human grandson.

Yeah, somehow I don't think any of this happened to C. K. Lester. I must be parsing wrong.

On a more serious note, I think there's a lot to be learned here, so it's useful for this to go on a bit more.

katsmeow said...

Well, i mean mechanical control of machinery, such as if it senses it's hotter than outside and above a threshold and before a time, turn on a fan. That's a whopper of a problem to solve without electronics.

Oh, so you have no interest in mechanical engineering at all outside of this aspect? Just the controls part interests you? Hmm, that is indeed a different kettle of fish then...

katsmeow said...

For instance, For various reasons, .. car .. truck ..

Well, this seems more like you are just trying to keep your car and truck running MacGuyver style, with chewing gum and duct tape, metaphorically speaking.

katsmeow said...

I cannot afford to buy another vehicle. I have no way to get to grocery, dentist, etc.. I put down money on a place in another state to move to, but that's not possible now, and i do not get the money back.

And i'm 67 years old.

I'm reminded of what you said earlier in this thread about real life.

katsmeow said...

I'd rather be programming computers to do interesting things,

If you can get ahold of a few Ultimate64s then perhaps that bit is still possible.

katsmeow said...

Instead i do only what i must (for lack of time and money), and beg for (and offer to pay for) bits of software (such as a usb lib) which i never get.

Offering to pay for? Honestly I'd suggest against that, considering what else you wrote concerning your finances. Better to save up for a new van that can get you out of state. (I've been looking into vanlife myself for a while now, incidentally.)

katsmeow said...

<rhetorical>There's like 50 ways to compile OE now, right?</rhetorical>

Kat

^ This

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu