Re: Print a sequence (Phix)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
lib9 said...

formats in fmt are applied to successive elements.

You've only got one format, and it is applying that to the first element of args. You're just missing some {}.

sequence s = {"line 1", "line 2", "line 3", "line 4"} 
printf(1, "s: %V\n", {s})   -- extra parenthesis 
sequence buffer = {}  
for i = 1 to length(s) do  
        printf(1, "l: %s\n", s[i])  
        buffer = append(buffer, s[i])  
end for  

printf(1, "buffer1: %v\n", {buffer}) -- {} and %s->%v 
printf(1, "buffer2: %t\n\n", string(buffer)) -- print a bool 

The output is:

s: {"line 1","line 2","line 3","line 4"} 
l: line 1 
l: line 2 
l: line 3 
l: line 4 
buffer1: {"line 1","line 2","line 3","line 4"} 
buffer2: false 

In the first printf(), the first element of args is now all of s, rather than s[1].
Using %s (and the extra {}) in the penultimate printf() would crash with "sequence found in character string".
In your last line, string(buffer) will return false, because it isn't. Also note that in

string name = "lib9" 
printf(1,"Hello %s\n",name) 

It is using a special trick to print Hello lib9, but on Euphoria that would print Hello l, ie just the first character/element of args.
Were you to change that to printf(1,"Hello %s%s\n",name), it would [revert to] printing Hello li, and need another two to get all four chars.
Specifying args as {name} would work the same on both Phix and Euphoria (and crash with the double %s%s).

PS Probably better to post any questions here - its pretty quiet anyway, and others can chip in while I'm akip.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu