Re: Translate once, run anywhere.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

It has been a problem that once we have code in C it is fixed to one platform and architecture or another. To me the code produced by the translator should be portable. Testing this is rather adhoc though. Is there anyone around with 32-bit systems or UNIX systems that are not Linux who would like to participate in experiments of getting a translated to C helloworld program to compile so the buildsys can eventually do the right thing and create portable C code?

I would love to accomplish this because it's been itching at me for a while. The current Makefile is huge, uses a lot of recursion, and repeats itself often.

I think it would be best to set the current Makefile aside build a new one, while updating the backend code to be as platform-agnostic as possible.

Most of the macros that are set by configure can simply be inferred by the backend automatically and overridden when necessary.

Here is a good resource for predefined macros: https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/Home/

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu