Re: Raspberry Pi temperature sensors

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ChrisB said...

SO what you're actually saying Kat, is that there really is more than one way to skin a cat! Totally agree, a job done, is a job done.

Agree 100% with this sentiment.

katsmeow said...

to accomplish something OE cannot do.

ghaberek said...

But Euphoria can absolutely

katsmeow said...

Ok, but Ryan used system_exec() and pipeio:exec() to perform the action vs calling a windows API directly.

Yeah, using a windoze API wouldn't make sense here, considering that most Pi's that I've seen run some flavor of nix.

katsmeow said...

Those two exec() functions are in OE to do exactly what he used them to do.

Yep, that's what they're there for.

katsmeow said...

Without the OS's API calls available, however you call them, i don't see how OE can do what Ryan needed doing.

Me either.

katsmeow said...

I don't see your moral objection to that.

Although Greg used the term "dishonest", my 2 cents is that the object is one of accuracy rather than on a moral basis. It's true that Ryan "did this with Euphoria" but he also used other languages, such as Bash scripts, when an Euphorian alternative was available.

Greg clarifies,

ghaberek said...

Nothing wrong with using a batch file to do batch file things.

I take this to mean that from Greg's POV, there's nothing wrong with Ryan using the bash script in is project as-is, but it's inaccurate to say that it's done with Euphoria (I guess with a silent implication that it's using as much Euphoria as possible) because of the reliance of the bash scripting language (when doing so is not strictly necessary) but instead of calling anyone a liar, Greg simply finds a way to make the statement honest by writing some Euphoria code.

Using the OS API would be an exception because - unless one is working with the bare hardware - there's no way to do some things without invoking the OS's API. So that doesn't break the "Use Euphoria as much as possible to do things and as little of other languages as possible." principle.

katsmeow said...

Years ago i wrote an Euphoria v3.1 program that used a web interface to translate between human languages.

Me too. But with an older version of Eu, 2.2 or 2.3 iirc.

katsmeow said...

I didn't write the translator.

Me either.

katsmeow said...

What i did do was loop the process, to translate between languages not available on the website.

Very cool. That's something I hadn't accomplished with my version.

katsmeow said...

And Ryan is doing something else you didn't do.

Well, to Greg's credit, he did provide the Euphorian version of the bash script that Ryan was using. Greg isn't doing what Ryan did, but he did spent some time and energy to help Ryan make his project powered even more by Euphoria.

Perhaps Ryan thought that what the bash script did was something that Euphoria couldn't do, but Greg demonstrated otherwise. Seems like a win all around to me.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu