Re: Raspberry Pi temperature sensors

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I looked at the ESP stuff years ago, and data was not forthcoming, and questions were never answered. On the face of it, the modules look to be wifi interfaces, with no data on how they are to be connected to anything. There's many such Chinese modules, and the web is littered with feedback of them not working as advertised. When people ask for something and get no answers for years, eventually they give up. I gave up. Near as i could tell, OE and Eu were never going to know the position of a toggle switch, let alone control an automated process. And that is disgusting to me, considering the C64 was, for a time, operating the people mover at Hartsfield International Airport, and i patched one into a gigantic Modicon-controlled injection molding machine in 1984. The C64 also made a nice lil HPIB/IEEE-488 controller for Hewlett-Packard and Tektronix equipment. So i may not know modern Chinese stuff because no one answers my questions, but freaking been there done that before they were born.

Making a simple webpage to watch the water tank isn't the same as having smarts out there to handle the gotchas such as the pump running dry for hours, destroying the shaft seal. Or the engine starter motor staying engaged to the flywheel. Or belts coming off at 2am.

The pi can also save events to hdd, so even on a slow connection you can see how that goat got into the cattle trough overnight. I have some hdd that aren't much bigger than the Pi3 in it's plastic case.

The pi can also shut down and wake up periodically, by timer or responce to stimuli, to save power. To me, being smart for the duration of an event beats being stupid all the time.

Rather than giving half-answers from Wikipedia like "use a ESP-xx module" (but not HOW), Ryan is providing a seamless remote many-input many-protocol solution, with a seamless interface using ethernet, wifi, zigbee, 1-wire, 2-wire, I2C, SPI, and an 8-bit parallel. You can write the code on the desktop, upload it to the remote, and run it there. There's many benefits besides "you can write your programs in Euphoria, rather than C", starting with the entire data gathering, distribution, and munging is written in Euphoria (or Phix). Unless you count calling into the OS's API as "dishonest".

Re 3.3v vs 5v, various real-world situations were discussed. Basically, nothing from the user is plugged into the raspi, it all goes thru a card with protective measures. It's not economical to blow up the pi while trying to get an undocumented Chinese module to work with it.

And there's nothing saying the raspi cannot be the gateway to remote zero-power dumb terminals.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu