Re: question about find function

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Re: strings
I do indeed respect and use the heck out of sequences , especially when the task is to munge strings. I use them as linked-list-metadata, and as chunks corresponding to screen line lengths or other length-restricted situations, or as color holders, etc..

ghaberek said...

We need to scratch an itch.

-Greg

I think the other way around : OE needs a better list of scratchers. The url i gave for Julia was to it's enviable list of features. While OE has some of those, arguing against more features in OE just because a few people won't use them is like saying everyone uses all the functions available in Julia. I think it's unlikely you will find all the itches out there, and then build and advertise the new scratcher, but likely someone with an itch is looking for a unique scratcher no one has.

It's like the type system hack i did. I used it firstly as sharing variables with other processes, but it's also useful as a on_var_set() function, which can alert-signal other functions or processes that some condition has changed (and how, possibly by who), which is a feature some popular languages have. And surely you noticed the existing type system in OE doesn't supply the name of the variable it's type testing? But suggest such features be added to OE here and the auditorium goes silent, sets their seat on fire, and walks out. This blows my mind.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu