Re: [phix] what is a hybrid interpreter compiler?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

When declaring the type, i preceed the native OE types which i want to share with the word "global", and the preprocessor takes care of the machinery behind the scenes.

I'd probably have introduced a new keyword like 'shared' or 'universal' as 'global is already a keyword with a specific meaning in OE/Phix. NABD.

"Shared" was my first choice too.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

I use IPC now (but toying with TCP across the lan) to communicate back and forth between processes, and i can share selected functions, proceedures, and variables. The RDS trace/debug console functions with each separate process as normal. But it feels like this performance would be better served if it was part of the language,

Nice!

I think, in addition to support from the language/compiler+standard language libraries, the best performance would be gained if the OS also provided explicit support for this scenario. (Admittedly, this gets trickier as you try to use more and more OSes.) And how cool would it be if we could shared these things, not just between computers or between OSes, but between different languages? That said, one has to start somewhere, and your suggestion is a good one to start with.

Seriously? Over the many years here, i was only shot down for linking EU/OE to Mirc. Mirc gave me easy gui, easy windows event-driven and threaded access. Mirc was a ready irc interface to #Euphoria on irc, even after my irc.e was rejected and i deleted all that code. OE gave me speed and unlimited variable size. But i wrote a threaded web server in mirc before OE had http.e, and the server wasn't blocking.

Anyhow, i deleted all the "shared" variables code from the computers. I've been hoping Eu would greatly improve, become a shining light in the dark, for over 20 years now, with attempts to copy a few features here and there. It's simply not going to happen.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu