Re: Phix 0.8.2 uploaded

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ChrisB said...

As a discussion point, what is the best way to update your Phix installation?

Backup & overwrite.
With rename/recreate, you'll lose Edita settings, which should be preserved by an overwrite.
The benefits of a backup should be obvious, not just in case of a bum release or corrupt zip, but you may have edited some demo and that'll get clobbered.
After my PC needed open heart surgery in March this year (new PSU), I had to perform a rename/recreate, and found yet more things to recover while building 0.8.2.

ChrisB said...

this time I just copied all the zip contents and overwrote the existing files, but doing this is it possible to leave some unused and possibly conflicting stragglers?

Generally not.
For instance builtins\VM\psprintN.e in 0.8.2 now begins with "DEAD (now in VM\pprntfN.e)" rather than just being omitted from this release.
Eventually such things will be removed completely, once any unnecessary and now incorrect "include [VM\]psprintN.e" have been eradicated.
You'll find about ten such remnants in 0.8.2, they'll hardly hurt anyone.
A far bigger danger is corrupt/partial zip files, damaged by my upload or your download.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu