Re: Why are my maps chewing on my RAM? or, Adventures in memory (de)allocation

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Spock said...

Please excuse my ignorance but why can't maps be just normal sequences that encapsulate hash tables? Wouldn't that solve memory allocation issues?

You're not wrong, and that's how previous user-contributed implementations have worked. For example...

sequence table = map_new( 256 ) -- number of buckets 

table = map_insert( table, "key", "value" ) -- insert data, return updated sequence 

object value = map_fetch( table, "key" ) -- fetch stored data from the sequence 

The goal of the eumem library, and its use in maps and stacks is allow pass-by-reference instead of requiring pass-by-value.

map table = map:new() -- 'table' is a reference to the eumem:ram_space sequence 

map:put( table, "key", "value" ) -- notice there is no return value here 

object value = map:get( table, "key" ) -- this is pretty much the same 

I think there's an advantage to be had in not having to pass-by-value everything. This method, IMHO, makes for cleaner and easier to understand code.

But, like with any other language that deals with passing references, keeping track of when things can be freed becomes an additional burden.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu