Fatal error when attempting to execute bear.ex from the EuGtk package

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I have downloaded and installed EuGtk 4.15.2 and was attempting to run bear.ex and encountered a number of problems. I solved some of them with changes to the EuGtk code but one is a show stopper and I would appreciate some help with this matter.
The first error I encountered was 'ifconfig' not being found. It was installed on my Debian testing/bullseye system but Debian (and maybe other Linux distributions) place it in /sbin and this is not in the path for a normal user. However you can run it if you prefix it with the path, so I changed GtkEngine.e, line 356, to

system(sprintf("/sbin/ifconfig > %s",{ipfile})) 
The second error I encountered was that PANGO_WEIGHT_NORMAL considered to be not defined in GtkFontSelector.e. I looked at the code at line 177 and noted that GtkEnums.e has a namespace declaration so I prefixed PANGO_WEIGHT_NORMAL with this and the problem went away. Hence I changed GtkFontSelector.e, line 177, to
weight = enums:PANGO_WEIGHT_NORMAL, 
The third error I encountered was with the libwebkit2gtk shared object file. As I am running testing Debian, my shared object version for this file is more recent than the code is testing for, so I changed GtkWebKit.plugin, line 30, to
dir("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4*") & 
However, after these changes, I still cannot get bear.ex to run. When I run it, the following is printed on the terminal window:
/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEngine.e:1569 in function deallocate_string_pointer_array()  
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement (signal 11)  

... called from /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEngine.e:919 in function get()   

... called from /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_prefs.e:12  

--> See ex.err  

Warning { not_used }: 
    <0231>:: /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEngine.e - private variable 'name' of load_builder() is not used 
Warning { not_used }: 
    <0231>:: /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEngine.e - private variable 'path' of load_builder() is not used 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_functions.e:102 - identifier 'clipboard' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear.ex' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_help_index.e:9 - identifier 'eu_help_path' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear.ex' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_help.e:99 - identifier 'OpenWebPage' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_functions.e' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_help.e:82 - identifier 'eu_help_path' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear.ex' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_recent.e:63 - identifier 'Open' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_functions.e' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEnums.e:22 - identifier 'register' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/GtkEngine.e' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_functions.e:1304 - identifier 'update_buttons' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_buttons.e' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_buttons.e:1304 - identifier 'source_buffer' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear.ex' is not included 
Warning { resolution }: 
    /opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear_prefs.e:1304 - identifier 'settings' in '/opt/languages/euphoria/gtk/current/bear/bear.ex' is not included 

My kernel is 5.2.9, gtk version is 3.24.10 and gcc version is 9.2.1. I do have the ex.err file but as it was so large I did not want to include it here and did not know how to provide it to the forum.
I note that signal 11 is a SEGV. My eu.cfg file has the paths set correctly so I do not know how to progress this matter further. Any help would be much appreciated.

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu