Re: Compile broken after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

I've become so accustomed to installing build-essential instead of just gcc and other packages, that I often try it on other distros and am disappointed when it doesn't exist.

Exactly. From my experience, installing developpment tools has always been easier on Ubuntu-based distros than on other ones. Also, GCC alone wouldn't be enough - you need to install a lot more to be able to compile stuff. That's why having something like build-essential is a pretty good idea.

The question how to run your program makes perfect sense as running terminal scripts without terminal doesn't really make sense. Three clicks instead of two don't make that much difference. When you editing and testing your programs you should be running them directly from your editor. I use Geany and can run/compile/bind Euphoria code with one click. So, what you do is editing/saving the file and then switching to your file manager to run them by double clicking? Then you should definitely try other editors. Also, Ubuntu Mate would be probably a better option for you.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu