Re: Compile broken after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Pirx said...
irv said...

Ubuntu did not even have gcc, nor allow me to install gcc, without some deep searching on the web to find half a dozen "solutions" which didn't work.

What??? :) Sorry, but it must be something really wrong with your system if you couldn't install gcc and build-essentials with a couple of lines in the terminal. Linux distro not allowing to install gcc? Are you sure it wasn't just a bad dream? Don't get me wrong, but it sounds insane.

EDIT I'm not using anything Ubuntu-based at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure, but that can't be true. No. :)

Well, I can't see how anything could have gone wrong, since I just installed directly from the download. Neither Ubuntu 18.04 nor Mint 19 (Tina), downloaded yesterday, come with gcc installed, but Mint allows you to apt-get it easily enough.

Ubuntu forgot to include the repos for gcc, so you have to edit hidden files manually to add them. Ubuntu also does not allow you to associate *.ex programs with Euphoria (eui) without a great hassle editing hidden text files and disabling another editor. Mint allows that just by right clicking, selecting properties/open with, and choosing eui. Ubuntu 18 disables the open with button. Only Ubuntu "approved" programs can be associated with your files.

Pretty sad, really.

The latest EuGTK includes an html file: demos/documentation/eu_on_ubuntu.html which has details on setting up Ubuntu to open *.ex (and all text/plain mime type files) with eui, by stealing them from gedit.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu