Re: RedyCode 1.0.0 released!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...
ryanj said...

Maybe too many people are downloading it at the same time! Haha

Yeah it downloaded just fine this morning. Not sure what happened.

I'm really impressed with how snappy and responsive you've made this! Looking forward to a more modern look-and-feel.

It turns out, euphoria can handle a widget system pretty well. But it took a lot of time to optimize it. Most of the optimization had to do with filtering out unnecessary redraws and redundant events and only copying the part of the window buffer that actually changed. I also spent a lot of time experimenting with various event buffer sizes and task schedule timings, mixed with win32 timers, which get pretty complex when dealing with system dialogs and other odd cases. It also took thoughtful indexing methods and learning how to take advantage of how euphoria sequences are optimized for different types of sequence operations.

I also am looking forward to redesigning the look-and-feel. The current design was started around 2005, when that style was more popular, and I didn't want to change it midway while working on it a few years ago. The theme is currently hard-coded, so it will take a lot of rework to make it possible to create new themes and color schemes, but I plan to do that eventually.

ghaberek said...

What are your plans for making it cross-platform? Looks like RedyLib is built for pluggable modules?

I will need to make a wrapper for xcb or xlib or wayland to manage windows, draw to them, and process window events, similar to the win32api wrapper i made.

ghaberek said...

Edit: One thing I noticed is that your dialog boxes are system-modal, which makes them stay on top of other windows. They should only be app modal.

-Greg

Yes, that is because I was having problems figuring out how to get window order to work the way I want in win32, so I had to settle for "topmost". Eventually, I'll take another look at the code and see if i can make topmost windows only be on top of other Redy windows. I also need to add true multi-monitor support and a few other details in the win32 wrapper.

Redy does not use true modal windows at all. You can test for yourself by going to Help -> About. You'll see if you move the mouse over the main window behind the "modal" about window, the mouse cursor changes to a "No" sign and the widgets will ignore events, yet you can still move and resize the main window! This also happens with message boxes, like when it asks if you want to save a file before closing. That was a deliberate design, because I think it's stupid when you can't move a window just because a modal window has popped up.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu