Re: Switch from Ubuntu to Mint

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

How did you get Ubuntu on your computer? The process for Mint is just about the same.

How did you get windows on your SSD?

Since you have Ubuntu, there is no big reason to change. (I use Mint Mate, but the choice comes down to preferences (sometimes small) in how the screen looks.)

If you want to get oE to compile programs you will need gcc. The Ubuntu "software boutique" will let you install "synaptic". From synaptic you can install gcc. But, no need to rush on compiling oE programs just yet.

Ubuntu has "Brasero" for burning an iso. Just click on the "burn iso" option (not the copy dvd or data options) when you make the DVD. The burn process makes the DVD bootable with no extra steps.

Your computer should give access to the bios with the F2 button. (sometimes it is a race to push F2 to get it to work, sometimes I power up and repeatedly push the button to "catch" it in the correct cycle.) Then, explore the bios to change the boot order.

I can expand a terminal across two monitors (by just dragging the window to make it bigger)--that should be big enough for you. The "video_config)" seems to be unable to cope with this oversize terminal and does not give the correct lines number.

Time is better spent exploring oE rather than installing operating systems.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu