Re: Installing WEE

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
alrobnett said...

I have yet to find the ubuntu software center, but that probably is not urgent. Terminal commands are accomplishing what I need to do.

It would be a good idea to spend some time getting familiar the programs on the menu. AFAIK, none of them are likely to do any damage if you click on them. This exercise will be helpful in the future.

said...

I am at a complete loss as to where to put various files, such that the Euphoria runtime can find them. This applies to both the executable file and the created data file that it creates: where should they be? It is easy to cram everything into Home, but that would get very messy. In fact, I apparently made some kind of mess by putting WEE in more than one place, perhaps as many as three.

My suggestion would be: do this from your file manager, not from the terminal, just because it's easier if you can SEE what's happening.

Your file manager should open in your home folder, with probably some folders shown inside. Right-click on an empty space (i.e. not on a folder), and choose the option "Create a new folder". Immediately a new folder will appear, with the name "Untitled Folder" I suspect. Right-click on this folder and select "Rename". Choose something that makes sense.

You should now be able to left-click (2 clicks probably) on that new folder and it will open, empty of contents.

Then you can use the file manager (open a new window) to drag your work file(s) into that folder. That will keep things neat. Both the data and the .ex can go in there.

said...

The terminal command: eui wee causes an error message: "sh: 1: ifconfig: not found"
but opened wee anyway, with "New File".

That's a warning that comes from EuGTK, it can be ignored. I had no idea that Ubuntu wouldn't include ifconfig, but it's only relevant if you write a program that needs to obtain your network or internet address. I'll try to find a more universal replacement in the future.

said...

After using Open within wee to bring up UCT.ex, further invocations of eui wee bring UCT.ex up automatically. Not expected, but understood.

WEE remembers the last 5 files you have edited. They are listed at the bottom when you open the File menu item. In addition, any tabs that are open when you exit WEE will be re-opened next time you run WEE.

said...

I need to be sure that there is only one UCT.ex file, but the terminal command: find UCT.ex replies "No such directory or file". Again, I need to understand the file system better.

You want locate - it recurses thru your home folder and its sub-folders:

irv@irv-desktop ~ $ find calendar.ex  
find: ‘calendar.ex’: No such file or directory 
irv@irv-desktop ~ $ locate calendar.ex 
/home/irv/demos/glade/calendar/calendar.ex 

Your file manager probably also has a find feature.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAipWgTb7WKD0VwUGPb7Nzpft94_Fk96/view

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu