Re: How to create an UUID (Version 1)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

I'd prefer to keep it "UUID" since that is the term used by the system libraries. "GUID" is the Microsoft-specific term.

Do we want to just use the libuuid names? uuid_generate, uuid_parse, uuid_unparse (or maybe uuid_format?)

Sounds good to me, I suppose that instead of a 2-way bAllowRand it should probably likewise be a 3-way force rand/force mac/don't care(==default).

ghaberek said...
petelomax said...

Personally, I think that "new()" sucks, what is wrong with "new_guid()"??

irv said...

Because of the way Eu handles namespaces, I too would prefer that no more "new" keywords were added. Seems better (and causes less namespace clashes) if functions get a more descriptive name.

I was unaware anyone felt this way. I will change it though. I'm indifferent and I can see what you mean.

Actually, I can now explain my main objection: An index cannot hold 38 varieties of "new".
Sure, a tree-based index (ie one printed on paper) can have 38 page numbers after each entry, but each word in a chm file links to one and only one page.
After finally saying it like that, it has just become extra crystal clear.

ghaberek said...

Side topic: should we be making an effort to roll back the heavy namespace usage?

Just try not to make make it any worse, but there is no sense breaking your back.

Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu