Re: Windows Woes

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
irv said...

Mingw only offered to install a 32-bit compiler. Do I need to remove Euphoria and install a 32-bit version?

Unfortunately, MinGW and Mingw-w64 are two separate projects. I'd actually recommend TDM-GCC, which provides both 32-bit and 64-bit compilers.

The 64-bit compilers are backwards-compatible via the -m32 flag. The translator will add this flag for you when you specify -arch x86.

irv said...

Now that EuGTK works nicely with Windows, I wanted to see how a compiled program would run. No luck.

Linux users have the advantage of dedicated package management systems; Windows folk aren't so lucky. You'll get it working.

Keep in mind that most people who develop for Windows probably use Visual Studio so they never have to get into stuff like this.

irv said...

I really think that Euphoria docs should only mention translating/compiling as an option when using Linux, as it's dead simple - doing this on Windows is an exercise in frustration.

Nah. Translating works fine and I don't think it takes any more or less work. If your Linux distro didn't come bundled with a compiler, you might not know how to get one installed, so you'd be in the same predicament.

What we really need to do is fix the docs so that it's clear what needs to be done to get this working with the least effort.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu