Re: Registering/capturing shortcut keys in Linux?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
irv said...

Autokey is about 50 lines of python. However, it communicates via dbusSession calls, which I know nothing about.

For communicating between programs, look up "pipe" in the Archives.

dbusSessions looks like it is complicated... not really my thing. I have had a look at pipes.ex and it does a pretty good job of demonstrating IPC using pipes, but there is one small issue... It works by executing a command/program from the code, that is not I need. I will have to communicate with an already running program.

The basic idea is to make a script which uses XBindKeys to bind the shortcut keys to the script with different commandline switches and when the shortcut keys execute the script the the commandline switches, they communicate with the main process and inform it that a shortcut key had been pressed.

I might end up using networking/sockets to do IPC or even worse, UNIX signals which is not cross-platform :(

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu