Re: (rant) unicode-text

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

The statement "Windows 10 makes my netbook unusable" is a literal (non hyperbole) statement. It runs so slowly that I think it is broken. Bootup and shutdown takes 3.25 minutes. It is about 2 minutes before the file manager starts responding. It is very easy to get 100% cpu utilization; then the computer just hangs and gets hot. Windows just did an update which cost almost 20 minutes of downtime. Mint Linux has never treated me this poorly.

I went to a small town and asked a Sears associate "where is the automotive department?" The reply was "where it has always been." It turns out that in this town the automotive department is an a separate building--everyone in town knows this. You can't compare operating systems based on how long it takes to learn* where a particular feature is hidden.

* (Maybe you can...)
In a (unix) terminal there is a dropdown menu that lets me set a traditional code page (such as Igor uses). In a console? Microsoft documention offers info on editing the registry; looks like there is API function that can also do this. Microsoft did not tell me how to do a one time code-page change to demo Russian characters. Windows is harder than it looks.

Eventually, I did find a Microsoft statement that utf is not supported in a console. Just surprised that Windows has made no progress in keeping up with standards.

With Mint, a right-click gives me access to a terminal. There are multiple workspaces that make multi-tasking much easier. Linux is dramatically faster than Windows. After installing Mint you have a complete computer; after installing Windows you have to figure out how to get and install software. Lots of pragmatic reasons why Linux is easier than Windows.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu