Re: Sort of OT: Windows 10

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DonCole said...

Has anyone upgraded to windows 10?

Yes, almost everywhere that I use Windows. I have a few more machines to upgrade before the deadline.

DonCole said...

If so has it had any effect on your Euphoria programs?

Not at all. I run 32-bit Euphoria 4.1 beta2 on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

DonCole said...

I know that when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1,

Microsoft did away with XCOPY and replaced it with ROBOCOPY.

Admitedly ROBOCOPY is better and faster.

But the command line structure is different.

And a lot of my programs were built around the XCOPY structure and therefore now longer worked.

There is no simple fix.

I had to write another program to deal with ROBOCOPY.

This took a long time and was a lot of trouble.

(I'll upload it to the archives if anybody is interested.)

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm curious what your program is doing that requires XCOPY or ROBOCOPY. I would also be curious to see your source code.

ROBOCOPY is far superior to XCOPY. I stopped using XCOPY ten years ago when I started hitting its path length limitation. ROBOCOPY does not have this issue.

Microsoft has also been upgrading ROBOCOPY with each new release of Windows. Some of the newer features I like are /TEE which outputs to a log and the console, /DCOPY which copies directory permissions and timestamps, and /MT which allows for multi-threaded operation and can make things much much faster.

DonCole said...

So am I going to find more problems with Windows 10?

I doubt it, but that really depends on what you do. I've not had any breaking changes between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

DonCole said...

By the way I believe Windows 10 uses ROBOCOPY.

So I don't expect that to be a problem.

I believe the Windows 10 version of ROBOCOPY is fully compatible with the Windows 7 version.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu