Re: Eunet or EuLibnet or TCP socket library (or socket.e)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...
Spock said...

The client-server communications will be quite sparse (and the user load light). At client initialisation the previous few months transactions (for that user) will be loaded into the client as a single read-only table. When a new transaction is created in the client it gets sent to the server which then confirms the event. That is really the core of the transmissions. So on the client side I think it would work as a synchronous socket call that times out. The dropped TCP connection could be managed by preceding each call with a check that the connection is still up.

I don't think you need to keep the TCP connections open between the clients and server. This is the process I imagine you'd take:

# Client Server
1 Connect to server
2 Accept connection from client
3 Send request for new transaction ID
4 Receive request for new transaction ID
5 Send new transaction ID to client
6 Receive new transaction ID
7 Send transaction ID and data
8 Receive transaction ID and data
9 Send SUCCESS or FAILED status
10 Close client socket
11 Receive status from server
12 Close local socket

This is how a lot of simple TCP protocols, like HTTP, work: the connection only lives for the duration of the request..

-Greg

This is even better by making each event independent. In the above table there is a user delay of a few minutes between items 6 & 7. So I could then break the transmission into 2 distinct chunks. And the server loop itself will be much simpler with no past/future to worry about - only the here and now.

Edit - In testing the client/server I discovered there is a buffer limit (in my case 1023 bytes). So files of arbitrary size can't be sent all in one go. Is there a standard solution to this?

Spock

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu