Re: OT: complaining about your OS

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

This is something we could add to the docs. Sounds like a good alternative to Linux and MS Windows X. ( My post kind of went off topic here. ;) )

I would not recommend this until the folks over at ReactOS consider their release to be relatively stable (which, apparently, 0.4.1 will be considered BETA).

SDPringle said...

POSIX filesystems allow too many symbols in the files.

One could argue that Windows doesn't allow enough symbols. blink

SDPringle said...

Another is not able to distinguish distinct mice in its APIs. Multiplayer games. ;)

Is this possible in Windows? I've never come across a multiplayer game that uses multiple input devices on the same system, except for joysticks or gamepads.

SDPringle said...

Also no option to mount an ext2 filesystem and give another user full access. When restoring with an ext2 backup this makes me regret not having used vfat.

Sure you can! There are a few options here.

Additional mount options... http://superuser.com/a/196678/462661

sudo mount -o uid=<userid>,gid=<groupid>,nosuid,noexec /dev/whatever /media/wherever 

• uid=<userid> - mount using this user's id number
  • gid=<groupid> - mount using this group's id number
  • nosuid - prevents root escalation (optional, security measure)
  • noexec - prevents executing files (optional, security measure)

Using bindfs to remount as another user... http://superuser.com/a/196684/462661

sudo bindfs -u <userid> -g <groupid> /media/whatever /home/<user>/whatever 

I prefer bindfs for this. I use it to remount my /media/storage (a 4 TB disk) so that my user has full read/write access via /home/shared.

SDPringle said...

Linux has no way to detect whether you are running your program in a terminal visible to the user or the program was opened in X-Windows to properly implement has_console().

In my experience, it's unusual to even try and detect such a thing. One either writes a GUI application or a console application, or maybe a GUI application with a --nogui option or something. Detecting the presence of a console only seems relevant to provide a "Press any key to continue..." prompt.

SDPringle said...

Oh and also not being able to run new-binaries of older Linuxes. This bothers me the most. I make available a Euphoria binary but I cannot expect all the users to keep glibc to the newest incompatible version. So sometimes they just wont work. I rented webspace and upload my a EUPHORIA interpreter for CGI. It wouldn't work because of this problem. I had to port my CGI to some Interpreted language they already had, go with a Windows based web host, or install an old Linux for development. What is more of a pain? It depends on the size of the CGI script.

I am pretty sure this is a Euphoria build problem, not a Linux or glibc problem. Here is a blog post demonstrating how to link to multiple versions of glibc: http://www.trevorpounds.com/blog/?p=103

SDPringle said...

Windows X sends too much of the user's information to the Internet, according to a security researcher (www.grc.com).

This sounds very strange. I am having trouble connecting to their website. I have also not been able to find anything via Google describing this. Do you have more information?

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu