If you wanted to distribute a dll

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

If you wrote a DLL or wrapped a DLL for other Euphoria developers to use, where would you expect the DLL to reside on the target machine? For example, say you wrapped libcurl and wanted to distribute the DLL along with your curl.e file. That way you could be sure that the user of your wrapper is using the correct version of the DLL you wrapped.

Some Possible locations:

• Wherever DLLs are located normally on the system. The problem with this solution that the user may already have a version of the DLL and that version is not 100% compatible with your wrapper. Or later he installs a version of the DLL that causes instability. The benefit is if you didn't write the code for the DLL or someone else is maintaining it you wont need to distribute bug fixes.
  • Wherever Euphoria is installed. For example, by default Euphoria installed on my system in /usr/local/share/euphoria. So a good place to put the DLL might be /usr/local/share/euphoria/bin
  • Wherever your wrapper is installed. I like this idea a lot. Say your wrapper is installed in /usr/local/share/euphoria/include/curl. Then you might expect to find your DLL in /usr/local/share/euphoria/include/curl/curl.dll. What I like most about this solution is that you can dynamically figure out where the DLL should be based on the return value from include_paths function. What I don't like about this solution is that a DLL is not an include file.
new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu