Re: New release of Phix

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hello Selgor.

Selgor said...

Is there a drag and drop in Phix ?

Erm, Yes and No. The included demo\arwendemo\demo_treeview.exw has some drag and drop functionality. However the term "drag and drop" covers a very wide range: from dragging files like in Explorer to blocks of text like in Word to reordering listview column headers and so on. See http://www.catch22.net/tuts/drag-and-drop-introduction (7-part series) and http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/tags/what+a+drag/ (8-part series). Hence I cannot in all honesty reply with an unqualified "yes". Some of that stuff (iirc) requires threads and/or COM, both of which I have started work on. I am planning to implement some (more of) of the stuff in those two links fairly soonish. There is also a huge difference between drag and drop within an application and drag and drop between applications. Most of the former and some of the latter is quite trivial, for example I have just dragged "switch.txt" from Windows Explorer onto the title bar of Edita and it worked exactly as it should. Equally some of it is nightmarish - one app I worked on (in C++) 3 years or so ago required a minimum of 51 separate new routines (!!) before you could test the very first thing. I also clearly remember the supplied framework (Embarcadero) made all sorts of claims about drag and drop and how easy it was but none of the provided routines proved to be of any use at all, at best they could do some within application stuff but anything between applications basically just hung.

Perhaps if you specify precisely the bits you are after I could focus on that/whip up a quick demo. Or maybe it will just be a matter of documenting the bits I already have working properly.

Regards,
Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu