Re: Rikki-tikki is male. OpenEuphoria is genderless.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

For historical and literary reasons Rikki-tikki the mongoose is male. Rudyard Kipling wrote his story that way.

This does not mean that the Euphoria mascot is male. Having observed a bunch of these living critters it is clear that you can't tell, easily, what sex they are.

The documentation has no gender. I have removed (I hope) the last reference to he-him, she-her ... from the documentation. I will not resort to gimmicks like profiling, awkward writing, new pronouns, and the rest. This is not the same as ignoring gender issues. This is to say that gender simply has no place in technical writing.

Hopefully users of the forum and documentation will be diligent and polite in pointing out abuses of gender issues.

_tom

You might be interested in this article about techniques to remove gendered language from writings.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu