Re: Who is compiling Eu, and why?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...
jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

I have been using Eu for some time, and never compiled it. I have run it interpreted and bound. So a couple of us were sitting around on irc, and i volunteered to ask publicly: why would anyone compile their Euphoria source code? If the goal is to distribute one file for an application, why compile vs binding?

The main reason is speed. Binding is better in other ways (e.g. better chance of getting readable error messages).

Since OE is presumeably faster than RDS Eu, has anyone compiled a random sampling of OE projects and compared the speed they run at vs binding the projects? I see this speed arguement as a very old mantra, brought up since the days of RDS on win3.x and win95.

Not that I know of. Some benchmarks were done against specially designed tests before 4.0.0 was released, but nothing since ... and no random sampling AFAIK.

katsmeow said...

Things have changed, the mantra needs verification and updating.

Agreed.

katsmeow said...
jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

Other features, like string execution,

IIRC it was decided that if this was ever implemented, it'd be an interpreter-only feature. We already have interpreter-only features in 4.1.0, so I don't think the presence of a compiler is holding things back.

What are those interpreter-only features?

The only set I can recall off the top of my head is include/euphoria/debug/debug.e

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu