Re: Euphoria's identity/philosophy -- Where is the focus?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

To sum up, it appears Lee's position is that a particular software design pattern (or at least elements of it) should be put into the scope of the language itself and actively enforced by the language, whereas the other side disagrees and argues for various reasons why that software design pattern should remain separate from the language itself.

It's true.

Placing a certain boundaries, as well as forcing a certain pattern, by the programming language itself - will help to maintain the code later, which can be crucial for success.

Personally, if I would like to get more programming-freedom then I would code in C or Assembly - not Euphoria. Part of being a very high level language is placing boundaries, which minimizing the chances of bugs or unreadable/unmaintainable code.

PLC programming is similar to Assembly... you have memory addresses, add/mov and such commands, and you can do whatever you like. If you override an Output address by mistake, you can easily kill someone - there is no variable's scope to protect you from stupid mistakes in a regular PLC.

I liked programming PLCs - but Euphoria is million times more fun and safe. And I hope that it will remain like this.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu