Re: Euphoria's identity/philosophy -- Where is the focus?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

from my point of view:

1. Euphoria 3.1.1 was rapid from all aspects, it only needed a comprehensive and up to date standard library, to make the language even more rapid and standard.

2. What scares me in other languages, is that there are too many ways to do the same task - it makes it much harder to maintain and understand different coding styles.

For example, Euphoria 3.1.1 forced me to declare variables at the beginning of a routine - which might be less efficient/safe, but had the great advantage of readability and simplicity; i.e.: I could read and understand the programs much faster.

So the balance between improving the scope of variables, and the ease of maintaining and understanding others codes, is not so obvious for me.

I find Euphoria 3.1.1 variable's scope easier to understand and maintain, de facto.

3. For me, Euphoria's sequence is incomparable to other programming structures. Actually, 90% of my effort, before I found Euphoria, was to calculate the memory and make hard decisions about variables types.

Euphoria's sequence is not like an array in other language. Array in other language needs to be planned very well before it may be used. To decide which type of array to use it may take a long time, needs lots of headache pills, and eventually your decision might be wrong after all.

Euphoria sequences are dynamic storage container, much more flexible and powerful then arrays and structures in other languages. You can write a big program using only one sequence - for everything, without needing headache pills at all.

So, comparing Euphoria sequences to arrays in other languages, is misleading and ridiculous.

Atoms and Sequences are definitely the main identity/philosophy of Euphoria from my point of view. Without it - Euphoria is just another language, no matter how friendly it is.

4. I would like to see less built-in options - because it leads to many programming styles and less readability and maintainability; And many more standard libraries written in Euphoria.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu