Re: Haiku OS and Euphoria

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

Skimming over the Haiku Book, I would say that a "shim layer" approach would be pretty easy to accomplish here (e.g. wxEuphoria).

Yes. This is also the kind of approach that many language maintainers were thinking of taking on Haiku. Like I said, on Haiku yab gained popularity precisely because it exploited the system's native API, without adding any complication. It only takes some good amount of boring work for the developers, but once it's ready the user has access to a powerful API and can use its functions with extreme ease (yab's code for accessing the API is ridiculously easy, just have a look). I am not very advanced on the technical scale, so I can't provide more detailed information on how exactly this is to be accomplished (you guys probably already know all about it), but if you want, I can give you the email contact of yab's maintainer, who can tell you more.

said...

If we get Euphoria running on Haiku, I'd surely have a crack at working on this.

Great. I do hope to see many people getting involved in this project.

One last shot of my sales pitch: Euphoria is the ideal match for Haiku because of the affinity in their respective philosophies. In fact, their guiding principles are the same. Haiku itself is meant to be first and foremost simple and efficient, the same as Euphoria. Just like Euphoria's motto was "Just say NO to complicated programming languages", Haiku's motto might as well be "Just say NO to complicated operating systems"! I can confirm that Haiku developers are strictly sticking to this principle.

Also, let's face it: despite the fact that Euphoria has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD... how many users do you expect on these platforms? Not many.

Haiku would definitely be THE ideal playground for Euphoria's programmers.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu