Re: OPENMP

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
EUWX said...

Matt: I think Euphoria would benefit from the use of OPENMP, considering the fact that most processors these days support parallelism.

http://openmp.org/wp/about-openmp/
"Mission
The OpenMP Application Program Interface (API) supports multi-platform shared-memory parallel programming in C/C++ and Fortran on all architectures, including Unix platforms and Windows NT platforms. Jointly defined by a group of major computer hardware and software vendors, OpenMP is a portable, scalable model that gives shared-memory parallel programmers a simple and flexible interface for developing parallel applications for platforms ranging from the desktop to the supercomputer."

Possibly. I've almost used it in other projects.

EUWX said...

I addressed this to Matt because he seems to have good grasp of C and if Euphoria compiles with GCC then implementation of OPENMMP would take about two days of coding and two weeks of testing at most.

Yowza! "Two weeks at most." No f-ing way. I'm not even sure where and how we would use OPENMP in euphoria. I can't think of any place in the code where we could drop something like this in and see any significant difference. And making this work with translated code is probably no less of a project than adding any other sort of multi-threading support that's been thought about or discussed. Many parts of euphoria simply aren't re-entrant and need an overhaul to get there. And that's just the backend, not even touching what we'd want/need to change in the language itself to support this sort of thing.

EUWX said...

There are many other Euphoria developers who also are equally able. Anybody whose mind can understand the "voids" of C language (my mind is completely void of it) can implement it easily.

Yes, I'm sure they could. But the implementation just doesn't fit into the margin of this post, eh?

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu