Re: Reliability of small database system

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
sergelli said...

In the past, I tried replacing the system Bbase (which I use) by EDS.

During attempts, I noticed that in both cases, the indexing and searching occurrences require heavy code.

But it becomes much easier if we use text files with pre-formatted fields

This way also makes it easy any repairs, because the data is written in a way that a human can read and write with any text editor.

Any attempt to repair files like Dbase or EDS, using a text editor is almost certain failure.

Thus, for small data systems (up to a 10 MIB) I think more practical to use a text file and manages it with programming.

Hi

I disagree. Use sqlite for any size of file, flat file database, ini file, sql database, whatever. It journals, so if there is a crash mid write its recoverable. Speed vs EDS not actually a great deal of difference for small files, but IMHO much easier to use. Everybody's probably sick of me going on about how much I like sqlite though, but I just can't fault it for quick data file storage.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu