Re: Prototype-Based Programming

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
EUWX said...

According to the URL supplied: "Prototype-based programming is a style of object-oriented programming".

I thoroughly dislike OOP. I agree with the following:-

"Paul Graham has suggested that the purpose of OOP is to act as a "herding mechanism" that keeps mediocre programmers in mediocre organizations from "doing too much damage". This is at the expense of slowing down productive programmers who know how to use more powerful and more compact techniques.".... source wikipaedia.

http://www.paulgraham.com/noop.html

I've felt the same way for the longest time, but OOP certainly has its place in programming. I think it's important to consider Graham's initial comment as well:

"My own feeling is that object-oriented programming is a useful technique in some cases, but it isn't something that has to pervade every program you write. You should be able to define new types, but you shouldn't have to express every program as the definition of new types."

Paul Graham also programs in Lisp, so what does he know? smile

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu