Re: Prototype-Based Programming

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
TheresNoTime said...

I myself is not a OOP-fan[atic]. On the contrary, this paradigm is alien to me. But how else to develop a program consisting of several large pieces? In principle, it is possible to realize the communication between parts in pure Euphoria (stuffing maps in the stack). But it is the invention of bicycles.

This is nothing new. Euphoria is a procedural language, like C. It is possible to write independent modules or libraries that can be used in concert, just like you could design a system of classes using OOP to do so.

TheresNoTime said...
mattlewis said...

No, actually, this isn't true. In fact, there are vague plans to add OOP programming paradigms to euphoria. This would be a pretty massive undertaking, and would certainly be a new major version (e.g., eu5).

Even so, I can not wait. I have three ways:
1. Add one of the OOP-extensions in the Euphoria. The main drawback of this approach: I do not know what extension to choose. And all of a sudden it will not work?
2. Choose mainstream OOP-language such as C#.
3. Find another way of splitting the program into parts. For example, dissect it to independent programs that communicate through files (in 21th century!).

I guess your user name is appropriate, then. smile

I don't see why OOP is really necessary. I also don't know why, if you picked one of the existing libraries, it might stop working (aside from it possibly using something that becomes a reserved word in a future version).

I think dissecting your program into independent programs is a step farther than you need to go. Why can't they just be separate parts of the same program? Can you give a summary of what you're trying to do? Someone might be able to help give you ideas. It's not at all clear to me why OOP is the only way to solve your problem.

TheresNoTime said...
mattlewis said...

I'd be interested to hear if you have an idea about how to put prototype based OOP into euphoria.

Unfortunately, I can provide such information only in Russian.

Well...I was thinking more along the lines of an example of euphoria code in a hypothetical euphoria with PBP.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu