Re: Status of Euphoria 3.1.1?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Selgor said...

So, give me and other readers a sales pitch to install Euphoria4 whatever and have it do any of the following e.g.

(1) run programmes from the archives (2) run my existing .exw programmes. (3) be able to drag and drop.

Let me start by saying that once you get used to using the new features (including the much richer standard library) of 4.0, it will be painful to go back. We've included the legacy standard library for older code with the obvious exception of DOS specific routines.

With the addition of new reserved words, some older code will need modifications to work. I suspect you've have problems with this.

Also, if you were doing some dodgy things with scopes (like relying on the loading order of files), you could run into problems running older code, although this, too should be relatively easy to fix by adding some include directives. A good rule to follow is that if your file uses code in some other file, explicitly include it. Don't rely on other files to do that for you.

Without knowing more about what isn't working, it's difficult to say what the problem is. I've converted a lot of older code to work with 4.x, including updating it to use the new standard libraries. For the most part, it's a matter of removing the includes of the old files and adding the correct file. In general, it's best to convert the entire program. The global nature of the legacy library can cause problems, although the without indirect_includes was introduced to help with this.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu