Re: Reliability of small database system

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...
CoJaBo2 said...

If you need any kind of error detection or reliability, you need to go with something like SQLite.

The only advantage EDB has is that it "comes with" Eu; however, it is very basic, and does not have any of the typical ACID features of modern databases. Notably, with EDB, a crash or power outage can easily destroy data.

I wrote an experimental version of EDS that improved the reliability a great deal, but at the cost of a minor slowdown. Not that you'd notice on a small database with modern disk drives. I'll see if I can dig it up. It uses a 'Before Image' file that records raw transactions as well as flushing transactions to the D/B. So that in the event of an unexpected application failure (power outage, crash, etc...) it can perform an automatic roll-forward of transactions to bring the database back up a stable state. The only thing you'll lose is the one transaction that was in the process of being written to the BI file.

Derek,

if you describe your process in a little more detail I might be able to just adopt the concept into my program.

regards, Spock

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu