Re: Optimizing basic operations

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Spock said...

Yes. shufflelist() should be faster than sort() but the efficiency of that part of the program is a minor issue since it will be called so infrequently. The overall processing time will be dominated by the trillions of comparisons needed inside the main loop.

It that case, I might consider staying with the original floating point expression of the evaluation calculation instead of rounding it to an integer. This would take up more memory and I'm assuming comparing atoms will be just as fast as comparing integers.

Spock said...

The difference between choosing sort() or shufflelist() might mean the difference between a processing time of 10 hours versus 10 hours and 2 seconds. A much bigger concern is the derivation of the data structures in the first place. Tell us about that, there could be some sizeable gains to be had.

Give me a few weeks. I need to code more in order to test out all the stuff we've been discussing. You guys have been really great to take the time to make thoughtful comments. In the meantime, please suggest how a small and highly qualified group of us could work together in strictest confidence so that the proprietary nature of this project isn't broadcast all over the internet.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu