Re: new DOS source

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

Or those who use smaller computers like Arduino, who might consider a dos machine as a step up.

Might being the opperative word here. I suspect that it'd not be the case for most users, who would use the Arduino for very low level operations (like emulating an SID chip or acting as a microcontroller) that a full fledged DOS computer, with its clunky BIOS requirement and need to have some kind of random access hardware (flopy or hard disk) would be ill-suited for. Again, though, there's no accounting for individual taste.

What do you mean by "clunky"? The arduino has a bootloader in it's avr, and both dos and Eu insulates the programmer from the bios unless the programmer wants at it. And "modern" is also an operative word, meaning a small ramdrive of some flavor as C:\. For functionality, i don't see dos as full fledged anything, it's simply not running a full fledged gui-type modern OS, on the other paw, there's FAT12 and FAT16 (and maybe FAT32) for the Arduino, color dotmatrix led display shields, and usb and lan (wired and wireless) ports. What you call "full fledged dos computer" is only adding bigger monitor support, more ram, faster cpu, and more disk storage.

jimcbrown said...

Also, there is no 64bit version of DOS, so it's still not possible to use more than 4GB of ram in a single DOS application.

Neither does Euphoria on winxp.

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

To me, make it run 32bit flat memory dos instead of linux and i'd be pleased to run Eu on it. Maybe that's your "out" to easy dos support: find a way to make it look exactly like the dos i described, but in a shell on box that boots nix.

DOSEmu - which runs in a shell (e.g. bash) on a box that boots nix, has had support for direct hardware access for over a decade. http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/1.2/config.html

Edit: And you can run eui (or other nix commands) from inside a DOSEmu session via DOSEmu's unix.com utility. http://www.dosemu.org/stable/announce

Even if i read it and got competent with dosemu, there's not a Eu version to run on dos, other than 3.11, right? Frankly, the complicated linux setup and seemingly forever ongoing compiling sessions i hear about put me off linux. But it would be a way to instantly get modern hardware for dos to run on, and maybe in a way that's easier to port Eu to?

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu