Re: Returning structs in c_func

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

We'd have to understand how compilers handle this. I've never looked to see what they do in those cases, but I agree that it would be extremely useful.

Matt

My understanding was that structs, when returned (passed by value) from a C function, will be passed on the stack. So, a struct made up of 5 elements, each being a 32bit int, will take up 20 bytes of stack space. Likewise, a struct made up of a single element, an array of bytes, with the array having a length of 12, will take up 3 dwords of stack space.

I was thinking that, in these cases, we could somehow encode the length of the struct in the return type, and return a sequence of bytes to be reconstructed by the caller.

My research supports this as well. There are several StackOverflow discussions on this: Google "how does c return struct"

mattlewis said...

We'd have to figure out how to get that stuff off the stack. Yuck. And I suspect it will work differently on different architectures. Double yuck. Especially considering the semi-hardcoded way we call stuff on x86-64 (and ARM? I can't recall of the top of my head).

I would rather return a sequence containing the data as it would appear if you peeked it as a memstruct.

Matt

I'll leave the stack-smashing attempts to you. :)

But I imagine we would adjust define_c_func() to accept an object for return_type, which could then be the layout of the structure...

typedef struct { 
    int a; 
    unsigned int b; 
    float c; 
    double d; 
    char* x; 
} myStruct; 

myStruct myFunc() 
{ 
    myStruct m; 
    m.a = -5; 
    m.b = 100; 
    m.c = 1.0; 
    m.d = 1.23456789; 
    m.x = "Hello world!"; 

return m; 
} 

constant _myFunc = define_c_func( myLib, "myFunc", {}, {C_INT,C_UINT,C_FLOAT,C_DOUBLE,C_POINTER} ) 

function myFunc() 

sequence myStruct = c_func( _myFunc, {} ) 

-- this is a string pointer 
    myStruct[5] = peek_string( myStruct[5] ) 

return myStruct 
end function 

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu