Re: Do I need to refactor this code?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
TheresNoTime said...

I have an auto-generated flat source code, thousands of monotone lines, many of which have more than a dozen comparisons. Comparisons are often repeated. Sometimes, all except one:

if (a = 0) and (b = 1) and (c = 2) and (d = 3) and (e = 4) and (f = 5) and (g = 6) and (h = 7) and (i = 8) and (x = 9) return 1 end if 
if (a = 0) and (b = 1) and (c = 2) and (d = 3) and (e = 4) and (f = 5) and (g = 6) and (h = 7) and (i = 8) and (y = 10) return 2 end if 
if (a = 0) and (b = 1) and (c = 2) and (d = 3) and (e = 4) and (f = 5) and (g = 6) and (h = 7) and (i = 8) and (z = 11) return 3 end if 

Obviously, this code can be optimized:

if (a = 0) and (b = 1) and (c = 2) and (d = 3) and (e = 4) and (f = 5) and (g = 6) and (h = 7) and (i = 8) then 
  if (x = 9) return 1 end if 
  if (y = 10) return 2 end if 
  if (z = 11) return 3 end if 
end if 

Does it make practical sense? I know that C++ compilers (at least some of them) are able to do this automatically. What about Euphoria? I use eushroud, if it is important.

Generated Euphoria code is not this sophisticated yet.

You might want to try this approach, depending on how you automate the code generation ...

sequence temp 
temp = {a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,x} 

switch temp do 
    case {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} then return 1 end case 
    case {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10} then return 2 end case 
    case {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,11} then return 3 end case 
end switch 
new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu