Re: [Poll] What editor do you prefer for Euphoria?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jaygade said...

I've used Vim (Gvim) for awhile now, under both Windows and Linux. However, I was thinking of trying out Geany or Bluefish.

I like quick keyboard navigation and search/replace under Vim, but it can be difficult to set up the syntax coloring, indentation, code folding, etc.

Of the GUI editors, I like Geany the best by far. It is very configurable. The configuration files might need to be tweaked a bit to better support code folding.

My favorite editor is still my heavily modified version of ed.ex. I have tried to leave ed.ex behind many times, but in the end I have found that I really don't like taking my right hand away from the keyboard to use the mouse. Also, I prefer the horizontal "panes" to windows that are hidden by tabs. Ed.ex's native search/replace may be too simple for advanced tastes but you can always shell out and run Jiri Babor's little utility program "replace.ex". Indeed, it would not be difficult at all to incorporate Jiri's code into ed.ex.

Although I have used Euphoria for years (I think I may have used Euphoria longer than any other active member of the forum ), I am probably still a novice level programmer. But the ed.ex code is easier to modify than the configuration files of most GUI editors.

I think code folding would be a great feature for ed.ex, unfortunately, I think implementing that feature is far beyond my abilities.

Regards, Kenneth Rhodes

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu