Re: [OT] USA Elections

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

It does argue the questionable conclusion that WWII ended it.

If not WWII, then what? There was a noticable boom after WWII - or are you disputing this?

This is a decent article. Sure, the economic statistics improved (drafting millions of men sure helps unemployment figures). But that's not the same a healthy private economy that creates wealth (war, of course, does the opposite).

Much of the worst of the New Deal went away by the time we entered the war. Of course, afterwards, we were about the only ones whose industrial capital wasn't blown up, which gave a huge advantage. But many thought that we'd have lots of economic problems without lots of additional government spending. The recovery began in earnest before any of that happened.

jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

Furthermore, public unions are often largely responsible with funding the elections of the very people with whom they negotiate. It's true that unions didn't cause a lot of other problems, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a problem.

I can see the concerns here, esp. in regard to election funding. I guess I just wanted to point out that getting rid of public sector unions completely was not the right answer either. There must be a middle ground here.

I think a good first step is to not allow them to force members to pay dues to support more than bargaining activities. That makes sense for private unions, too.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu