Re: Tasks - communication

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

1. I am presuming you all are thinking of ditching Watcom, perhaps to be replace by MinGw/GCC.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread.

I am presuming that you and I are reading the same Euphoria forum, where there is a thread for ditching Watcom.
I am presuming that you understand that it is axiomatic to replace Watcom with another C compiler
I am also aware of your statement regarding your liking the "D Programming Language's approach" towards "Tasks - communication" which I am sure is the title of this thread.

desirable_compiler = (need_for_Tasks_communication & using_D) - watcom_compiler

Hence I am sure that statement has everything to do with this thread.

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

This statement regarding "D Programming Language's approach" makes it most desirable to make D the main compiler for Euphoria.

D is not C but a different language altogether. I'd be skeptical of this approach unless someone actually takes the time to present a working system using D instead of C as the translator output. A working system that can be tested vigorously and independently, I should add.

D is NOT vastly different from C, and has many desirable features. If you are going to change compilers, there IS GOING TO BE SOME WORK involved.

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

2. Windows XP can only use 3GB. There are good instructions available from Microsoft on how to use memory above 3GB,

Typo for 3GB?

No Typo.
A regular 32bit os such as windows 7, vista or xp can only ADDRESS 4GB of memory.
Out of that 4GB you have to have room for video memory and some other devices etc.
So if you have 3GB memory installed its fine, but when you have 4GB installed memory some of the memory addresses are used instead for video memory etc. which is why even with 4gb you can only usually use about 3.15-3.25GB in windows 32bit.

jimcbrown said...
EUWX said...

which may be conveniently used by Euphoria as a shared resource. I don't know if this facility is there in Windows 7 or Windows 8. I doubt it very much.

Perhaps you can save us the trouble by posting a link to these instructions from M$? It's unlikely that it'd be adopted if it doesn't work on later versions of Windoze (let alone a portable approach among different arches, or something that doesn't work on systems with less than 3GB of RAM), but that's up to the dev team.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu