Re: Multi-assign

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...

I'm going from memory, but basically, an underscore is a valid symbol character. We used to say that symbols couldn't start with an underscore, but that restriction was removed at some point during 4.0 development. The naked underscore name is just a variable that starts with an underscore, but has no more characters. Maybe not a big deal, and I'm blowing it out of proportion.

We could make it a one-character keyword (or other sort of reserved word). I don't think that using the underscore for this feature is very complicated from a technical perspective.

In any case, the aim should be to do what's easiest for users, not what's easiest to implement. Unless the effort to implement this is unreasonable, I wouldn't discount it (at least not for technical reasons).

Another idea would be to use a new keyword, like 'empty' or 'blank' instead of a special symbol (like the dollar sign or the hash character).

Hmm.

Nah, I'm totally against that.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu